Lurker now poster..question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi all, lurker turned poster, just saying hi.

Just want to ask if anyone else has the same problem of when filtering on the right past slow traffic, some car drivers feel it neccessary to swerve out to try and block you from overtaking...?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Yes, and try to block your gaps at traffic islands too.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
They're trying to correct the stupidity quotient of the general population, fixing the kindness of those drivers who move left to give you room. Annoying, but not as annoying as it must be for them sitting in the traffic jam you're filtering past.

I'm not too far from you, in Biggin Hill, I head down the A21 into the West End. What's your commute?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Mikey, do the A21 from Tubbenden Lane to Hayes station via A232. So funnily enough it's the A21 I am talking about, and as you probrably know full well it's always busy.

Tynan

Veteran
ride wide, if there's not much oncoming ride a foot over the line, taught that on scooter cbts, makes you much for visible and gives you loads more time to avoid, peds too

Tynan

Veteran
sounds like cock to me, you'd have to stop, spec if in cleats, plenty of time for them to then open the front door

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have known it happen when filtering on either side, I have seen cars deliberately drive on to the marked cycle lane when they see me coming to stop me filtering down to the front. I just switch side and filter down the other side, on occasions I have been known to get of my bike walk passed the obstructing driver then plonk the bike down in front of them and cycle on. You can almost hear their teeth grinding, as there is nothing they can do about it.

Of course filtering, particularly down the left side, can be dangerous and must be done with caution, especially where large vehicles are involved.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
tdr1nka said:
Yes, and try to block your gaps at traffic islands too.

Not only block you, but feel that they must at all costs overtake you just as your approach the islands, pulling a sharp left after.

Mental behaviour.

Ranger

As I see it just one of those things that you, sadly, learn to expect. Just be prepared for it and ready to take alternative manoeuvres, be it off the bike onto the pavement (whilst pushing the bike) or the other side of an island. The only thing I concentrate on is what is everyone else is going to do and anticipate it, same as is taught on the CBT.

And to go with AndyGates comment put all the big lights on and a gap magically appears in the centre of 2 lanes, just pull over to let a motorbike through and they will be quite happy to let you follow in their wake

carlpie

I've come across blind/deaf drivers and speeding drivers in London in six months of commuting, but I can't say anyone's ever tried to block me on purpose...maybe I'm naive - I'll watch for the beady little eye movements from now on.

Until then - joy to all road users equally....except for the pedestrians on Fleet Street of course.

Pete

If you're forced to stop, plonk yourself as close to the offending vehicle as you can get, and give the driver (or passengers) a good eyeballing. Stony-faced hard-stare stuff. Make them feel uncomfortable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It happens quite often, just as often as the folk who move out of the way - they get a wave from me.

Anyone who deliberately does it, I'll switch sides and ride round them and past the front of their car and back down the original side.

Top Bottom