1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lurker now poster..question?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ianrauk, 18 Mar 2008.

1. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Hi all, lurker turned poster, just saying hi.

Just want to ask if anyone else has the same problem of when filtering on the right past slow traffic, some car drivers feel it neccessary to swerve out to try and block you from overtaking...?

2. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Yes, and try to block your gaps at traffic islands too.

3. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

They're trying to correct the stupidity quotient of the general population, fixing the kindness of those drivers who move left to give you room. Annoying, but not as annoying as it must be for them sitting in the traffic jam you're filtering past.

I'm not too far from you, in Biggin Hill, I head down the A21 into the West End. What's your commute?

4. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

Hi Mikey, do the A21 from Tubbenden Lane to Hayes station via A232. So funnily enough it's the A21 I am talking about, and as you probrably know full well it's always busy.

5. andygates

andygates New Member

Put your lights on if you've got big ones. They think you're a motorbike and move out of the way.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

ride wide, if there's not much oncoming ride a foot over the line, taught that on scooter cbts, makes you much for visible and gives you loads more time to avoid, peds too

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Yup. Those people don't like others having an advantage over them.

I've heard of some responding to this action by opening the rear door of the car and carrying on their way.

I wouldn't recommend that though. It's a bit irresponsible, it could be dangerous, and it might get you a punch on the noggin.

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

sounds like cock to me, you'd have to stop, spec if in cleats, plenty of time for them to then open the front door

9. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I have known it happen when filtering on either side, I have seen cars deliberately drive on to the marked cycle lane when they see me coming to stop me filtering down to the front. I just switch side and filter down the other side, on occasions I have been known to get of my bike walk passed the obstructing driver then plonk the bike down in front of them and cycle on. You can almost hear their teeth grinding, as there is nothing they can do about it.

Of course filtering, particularly down the left side, can be dangerous and must be done with caution, especially where large vehicles are involved.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Nah, by the time they've realised what's happened you're off.

Works better on the near-side though.

11. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

Not only block you, but feel that they must at all costs overtake you just as your approach the islands, pulling a sharp left after.

Mental behaviour.

12. I take delight when some idiot does this, only to discover I'm going greater than 3mph and there's no room for them to cut inside :sad:

13. Ranger

Ranger New Member

As I see it just one of those things that you, sadly, learn to expect. Just be prepared for it and ready to take alternative manoeuvres, be it off the bike onto the pavement (whilst pushing the bike) or the other side of an island. The only thing I concentrate on is what is everyone else is going to do and anticipate it, same as is taught on the CBT.

And to go with AndyGates comment put all the big lights on and a gap magically appears in the centre of 2 lanes, just pull over to let a motorbike through and they will be quite happy to let you follow in their wake

14. carlpie

carlpie New Member

I've come across blind/deaf drivers and speeding drivers in London in six months of commuting, but I can't say anyone's ever tried to block me on purpose...maybe I'm naive - I'll watch for the beady little eye movements from now on.

Until then - joy to all road users equally....except for the pedestrians on Fleet Street of course.

15. It's not mental behavior,more like half wit.