Lust of the consumer...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

[QUOTE 2126787, member: 9609"]Least my sweeping generalisation was accurate, where as yours is inaccurate - no body has ever said boo to me while I have been cycling. And do you have any references for your quoted 0.01% figure?

And if anyone is wondering about my pedantry - he was taking a pop at me in another thread for doing precisely what he is doing in this.[/quote]

So you both are *&^%$ !?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
using 2 tons of steel to replace what God gave us a small version of.
Thoughts, anyone?
I've noticed that the stated weight for a car ranges considerably, therefore my thoughts are that the quoted weight of a vehicle increases proportionately according to how angry and/or car averse the poster is.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

I have a 2012 Cube agree GTC Di2...
A Trek 1.5.....
A Trek 7.3 FX....

And I'm only on this planet as a living, breathing organism for a certain amount of time, so I'll enjoy it how I see fit, without anyone telling me any different.

Boris Bajic has a crappy bike.....:giggle:

How dare you sir!

I have several crappy bikes.

The offence is in the number, not the adjective.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Various people make regular and judgemental statements about others, there seems to be an opinion about what you ride, what you wear and everything else in between.
I think this really says more about the person making the statement, than the people they are talking about.
worry less about what others are doing and more about yourself would be my thought on the matter.

I also love my Di2 Specialized Whizzbang, if you don't im sure I will get over it..

Dave 123

Legendary Member
On a more serious note, you may be right..... BUT=
In another life I'm a half decent white water kayaker, and midway up the coaching ladder. I was on a river in N wales this weekend. There were lots of novices about, some in beat up 80's boats & kit, but some in £1000 boats, plus £1000 worth of wearable kit, plus a £250 paddle. I could level the same point at them as this OP at the top.
Some of them couldn't paddle straight on flat water to save their lives, but as long as they are off their arses and out in the fresh air doing something they enjoy whilst paying the wages of bike/kayak/A.N. Other hobby shop persons wages, then that is better than sitting down typing pointless replies on a bloody stupid foru......

Oh, bugger!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think Boris is having a pop at the middle aged men who flocked to cycling from the golf course or their 2 seated sports cars.

Nebulous

Guru
My last car cost £420 at an auction. I then paid £543 for a bike. 6 months later I started commuting to work on my bike and got £600 for my car! Result allround methinks.

All of the above is true, but it isn't the whole story - when do you ever get the whole story?

I've since spent more money than I'm prepared to admit, even to myself, on bike bits, clothes and accessories.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

I think Boris is having a pop at the middle aged men who flocked to cycling from the golf course or their 2 seated sports cars.

If only you were right. Sadly, my wife has a 1960s roadster.... Well, not sadly at all to be honest. It's lovely!

I'm not having a pop at golfers either, but I hope never to be in the same room as a set of clubs. It seems a silly old business to me.

I cannot be against middle-aged men, as I am in their number.

No... I was just observing: Many posters with a slightly anti-car stance seem to pin a part of their disdain on the consumerist lust of some motorists....

I see that as much in some bicyclists as I do in many motorists.

Example: When I was in my 20s and 30s, nobody spoke of a 1981 Peugeot 12-speed or a 1996 Colnago. they were Peugeots and Colnagos and similar... now they seem to have a year attached to their name. It's the consumerism of the 1950s US car market all over again...

It makes me giggle a little, but I'm not having a pop.

As someone said upthread, I'm just cross because I ride crap bikes. :sad:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@BorisBajic yes, I think you are right.
What you are saying, in a very diplomatic sort of way ;) is true for some guys - seems to be a "guy thing", on reading cycle chat anyway, "my Bianchi has a tighter front mesh than your Colnago's floppy tyres :tongue:"
Of course, not all guys use their bikes as a status symbol, not even the majority, I would say.
Meanwhile, us girls have already reached the next level: we are comparing bike trailer performance: mine can ferry more shopping than yours :hyper:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No... I was just observing: Many posters with a slightly anti-car stance seem to pin a part of their disdain on the consumerist lust of some motorists....

I see that as much in some bicyclists as I do in many motorists.

Example: When I was in my 20s and 30s, nobody spoke of a 1981 Peugeot 12-speed or a 1996 Colnago. they were Peugeots and Colnagos and similar... now they seem to have a year attached to their name. It's the consumerism of the 1950s US car market all over again...

It makes me giggle a little, but I'm not having a pop.

As someone said upthread, I'm just cross because I ride crap bikes. :sad:

I think we're both saying the same thing in a different way. Cycling has recently attracted a different breed of rider - middle aged, affluent, high disposable income who may have been seen on the golf course on Sunday mornings but can now be found in quiet country lanes wearing TdF replica jerseys. For these riders cycling is a lifestyle statement and their bikes are the equivalent of the fancy new clubs they once displayed to their peers.

I think someone up thread said 'all the gear but no idea'

Top Bottom