M Steel Cycles ceases trading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sad news as one of the North East's most established cycling shops closes it's doors. No explanation given, just the announcement, via Instagram.

The first time I took on the 100 mile Cyclone route, my tyre split about 60 miles in. They were the rescue operation that day, got me back on my way and were happy enough to take my word I'd be in the next day to pay for the new tyre, which I did.

A great place that will be sorely missed. No doubt some bargains to be had over the coming days and weeks, but somehow it wouldn't feel right buying anything to me at least.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO

Globalti

Legendary Member
That was the first proper bike ship I ever visited; I was 15 in 1971 and we had moved from rural Oxfordshire up to Newcastle and I was cycling to Gosforth High School every day. Here was a shop where I could get the bits I needed for my bike whereas in Oxfordshire all I had was the local garage, which stocked a few brake blocks and puncture kits. I used to think the owner was called Geoff or Mike Steel, would that be right? Anyway he was very patient with this schoolboy who would go in, finger the bits, ask lots of questions and very seldom actually spend any money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
That was the first proper bike ship I ever visited; I was 15 in 1971 and we had moved from rural Oxfordshire up to Newcastle and I was cycling to Gosforth High School every day. Here was a shop where I could get the bits I needed for my bike whereas in Oxfordshire all I had was the local garage, which stocked a few brake blocks and puncture kits. I used to think the owner was called Geoff or Mike Steel, would that be right? Anyway he was very patient with this schoolboy who would go in, finger the bits, ask lots of questions and very seldom actually spend any money.

Mike's the chap!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A shame for the staff. They were always helpful when I went in.
They were my Brompton dealer so I don't know where I'll have to go now.

Newcastle Cycle Centre in Byker will probably be your nearest Brommie dealer.

As regards ownership, I believe Steels was bought at one point by former racing cyclist Joe Waugh, in partnership with framebuilder Dave Yates.

Yates - I think - moved to a small holding outside Lincoln a few years ago.

He may now have retired.

Tim Hall

Newcastle Cycle Centre in Byker will probably be your nearest Brommie dealer.

As regards ownership, I believe Steels was bought at one point by former racing cyclist Joe Waugh, in partnership with framebuilder Dave Yates.

Yates - I think - moved to a small holding outside Lincoln a few years ago.

He may now have retired.
Dave Yates was working until recently, but has indeed retired. He did the renovation of my M Steel frame which I use as a fixed wheel bike. He was posting on YACF as Bicycle Repair Man handing out all kinds of useful tips.

galaxy

Veteran
My first ever bike was a Denton of the the peg, now no longer there i assume. Then i had a Dave Yeates hand built time trial bike. Then a few different Ottadinis from Pedal sport. The North east produced some amazing Bikes over the years, what a Pity

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seems like these old family bike shops will continue to die out as long as the living is so meagre because nobody wants to inherit a struggling business. I know of one that has closed recently in Clitheroe and another that's about to close in Ramsbottom, the latter because the owner simply isn't making a living in the face of competition from the internet. To add insult to injury people often buy parts on the web then ask him to fit them. On top of that he can't get any decent bike brands because there are already bigger local dealers.

Only the bike supermarkets will survive thanks to economies of scale and a few independents that make a really big effort like Green Jersey in Clitheroe, or shops like Harry Hall in Manchester or Ride On in Rossendale who benefit from high footfall. .

midlife

Guru
Sad to hear of a bike shop closing. Cliff Pratt Cycles where I workd in Hull back in the 70's seems to be thriving :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The cycling scene has changed in the last decade. Shops that move with the times will thrive, those who don't will die. You've got to do more than just flog bikes and bits now, proper bike fits for one, catering for female cyclists in ways other than just offering them a pink bike and getting involved in popular activities like sportives are the way forward.

jay clock

Massive member
back in the 70s my LBS (in Belgium) had a sign in the window proudly saying he would not service bikes he hadn't sold. Didn't last long of course

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey. Ripping off car owners with extravagant service charges is a major income stream for car dealers nowadays. I bet the same applies to bike shops who exploit the belief that bikes needs a regular "service".

Top Bottom