M to H conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
This is why it’s good to get lots of opinions.

Completely forgot to mention the folding hinge on the H stem.

Schwinnsta

Can you buy an H stem in Turkey? We can't buy the part in the UK - we can only pay a dealer to supply and fit one. It is, apparently, too difficult a job for mere mortals.
Actually it goes on like a normal quil stem. You can use the stem catch to do the alignment. It can be accomplished by mere mortals.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Will H handlebar stem from 2014 model suit my 2020 one and mine M to his 2014? Found a guy who sells his H6L and may consider to swap stem bars.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Will H handlebar stem from 2014 model suit my 2020 one and mine M to his 2014? Found a guy who sells his H6L and may consider to swap stem bars.
The H stem before 2017 is ~2cm lower than the one after 2017 and same goes for the M-stem. All of those stems will fit any Brompton since 1991. With the newer M-Stem from your bike you will need the new handlebars as well. As @Kell showed earlier in this thread the older bars were slightly higher and will not play well with the newer stem in terms of folding. Newer bars with older stems on the other hand are no problem. If you swap your stem to the older H-stem including the older H-bars you will have a tough job fitting the newer shifters (also from 2017 on) onto the old bars - it works, but very tight and only in more or less one single position. I'd recommend getting the newer bars onto the old stem (which in your case would mean buying a replacement bar, as after the swap with the other guy both stems would do best with the newer bars).

ExBrit

Über Member
Cheaper alternative could probably be the handlebar extention/riser

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161141554368

View attachment 616852

View attachment 616853

View attachment 616854

However there are few issues here:

1. this item is miraculously on eBay only and since PayPal is banned in Turkey I can't order it. Anyone has any idea where else this item can be ordered?

2. 25.4mm thick part of M handlebar is not all that wide, about 3cm. Then it tapers down. I'm not sure this 3cm will be wide enough for adaptor rings to grip.

Is this bad idea?
I have two of these that I'm not using. They provide a 4cm rise and they do work with M bars. They are your cheapest option. They don't lift the bars as far as the H bars but maybe they will be good enough. You will, however, lose a little bit of bar space for mounting computers etc. You don't need to replace any cables and, if you simply raise the handlebars with them, they don't affect the fold. If you use them to push the handlebars forward, they will quickly affect the fold. Now you just need to find a way to get one. Hope this helps.

Update: They are called Satori Aberhallo and they can also be found on AliExpress and other places.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I have two of these that I'm not using. They provide a 4cm rise and they do work with M bars. They are your cheapest option. They don't lift the bars as far as the H bars but maybe they will be good enough. You will, however, lose a little bit of bar space for mounting computers etc. You don't need to replace any cables and, if you simply raise the handlebars with them, they don't affect the fold. If you use them to push the handlebars forward, they will quickly affect the fold. Now you just need to find a way to get one. Hope this helps.

Update: They are called Satori Aberhallo and they can also be found on AliExpress and other places.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have even 4cm clearance between my handlebar edge to the ground when folded, so unless I'll get an H stem, unfortunately there is no room to extend.

ExBrit

Über Member
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have even 4cm clearance between my handlebar edge to the ground when folded, so unless I'll get an H stem, unfortunately there is no room to extend.
That's a shame. I was able to fold with them (just).

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

The H stem before 2017 is ~2cm lower than the one after 2017 and same goes for the M-stem. All of those stems will fit any Brompton since 1991. With the newer M-Stem from your bike you will need the new handlebars as well. As @Kell showed earlier in this thread the older bars were slightly higher and will not play well with the newer stem in terms of folding. Newer bars with older stems on the other hand are no problem. If you swap your stem to the older H-stem including the older H-bars you will have a tough job fitting the newer shifters (also from 2017 on) onto the old bars - it works, but very tight and only in more or less one single position. I'd recommend getting the newer bars onto the old stem (which in your case would mean buying a replacement bar, as after the swap with the other guy both stems would do best with the newer bars).

I asked my local dealer to quote and he said it will be so expensive that I should simply forget it :smile:
I should probably keep using my M bar and see how it will go. BTW do you have any experience with Matumura Kohki Scrowave Suspension Spring? Based on reviews it seems to provide better suspension compared to stock brick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

That's a shame. I was able to fold with them (just).

It is a shame. I was really hoping it will work out.

I have Brooks Ergo handlebars which are a bit longer than stock adding to the width. Plus I have a handbag mirror on the left handle, brining it even closer to the ground when folded. And I can't shorten the bar as breakes already push to the internal bend of the handlebar. And this is considering that I've installed a rack + 4 eazy wheels.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I have two of these that I'm not using. They provide a 4cm rise and they do work with M bars.
Did you try them with M-bars on a M-stem and the bike still folds? Would be good to know. What make are these risers? Most of the risers clamp on the bars in an area where the bars are slimming down besides the clamp area, so these will not fit.

ExBrit

Über Member
It is a shame. I was really hoping it will work out.

I have Brooks Ergo handlebars which are a bit longer than stock adding to the width. Plus I have a handbag mirror on the left handle, brining it even closer to the ground when folded. And I can't shorten the bar as breakes already push to the internal bend of the handlebar. And this is considering that I've installed a rack + 4 eazy wheels.

View attachment 617004
You're going to have the same problem with H bars, I suspect. Good thing you didn't spent all that money on them.
I started with M + risers, then M bars, then switched to S + risers, then to S alone and I'm very comfortable despite being about your size. Perhaps time will help.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

You're going to have the same problem with H bars, I suspect. Good thing you didn't spent all that money on them.
I started with M + risers, then M bars, then switched to S + risers, then to S alone and I'm very comfortable despite being about your size. Perhaps time will help.

My understanding is that H stem adds length under the hinge of the stem hence rising folding mechanism up which also means rising the whole handlebar assembly above the ground once folded. H stems have same handlebars as M, why wouldn't it work?

Though I'll definitely use M for the time being to make sure I absolutely need a longer stem.

ExBrit

Über Member
Did you try them with M-bars on a M-stem and the bike still folds? Would be good to know. What make are these risers? Most of the risers clamp on the bars in an area where the bars are slimming down besides the clamp area, so these will not fit.
The extensions have a bit of a dog-leg in them. This gives you some control over how far apart the clamps are so it's quite easy to get them to clamp to the 1" diameter portion of the handlebar. You can barely fold the bike if you push the handlebars forward a little bit, which is what I wanted anyway. They are well made and don't compromise handling at all. The risers are made by Satori and the model name is Aberhallo.

Top Bottom