Macclesfield to Buxton route...Cat and Fiddle or?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
I just wondered how busy the Cat and Fiddle route (A537) is liable to be around tea-time on a Friday.

I notice from Google it is supposed to be iconic climb, but also something of a racetrack for motorcyclists.

I'll be cycling the route with a mate who's both very jittery about traffic and also probably hasn't got many miles in his legs (I've warned him!). There's a couple of alternative routes if need be - a B-road running kinda parallel to it, and track with an awful lot of gradient markers on it from Rainow and going over the top of Oldgate Nick. Problem with that is I don't want to break him and not too keen on getting broke myself....we'll want to get to the campsite in Buxton by a reasonable time too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If he is nervous in traffic it is not the nicest road, although visibility is pretty good if the weather is ok. You do sometimes get total pratts on motorbikes though. Post say six on a Friday shouldn't be too bad as most HGV's will be off the roads by then. In terms of the climb itself it is long and draggy with no major steep sections. The descent into Buxton is quite twisty but not a problem although if windy you do need to be a little aware.

The alternative I tend to use with in places vitually no traffic is up the Brickworks at Pott Shrigley into Kettleshulme and upto Pyms Chair via Windgatherer then down into the Goyt and out via Derbyshire Bridge ranger station onto the Cat and Fiddle Road principally for the descent into Buxton having missed all of the climb.It is a bit steeper in places than the Cat but far less traffic. If you stray off routes though there are some vicious climbs in the area.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Chris's second option is a good one for someone nervous of traffic, the Brickworks is a lovely climb too, probably my favourite climb in the area. But it doesn't have that "iconic" (read: talked up) reputation of the Cat and Fiddle.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
The alternative I tend to use with in places vitually no traffic is up the Brickworks at Pott Shrigley into Kettleshulme and upto Pyms Chair via Windgatherer then down into the Goyt and out via Derbyshire Bridge ranger station onto the Cat and Fiddle Road principally for the descent into Buxton having missed all of the climb.It is a bit steeper in places than the Cat but far less traffic. If you stray off routes though there are some vicious climbs in the area.

Ah got you - cheers. I've not cycled much in the area, but enough to know to treat it with a bit of respect.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
If you let us know when you are going to do it, I can plot you a quick route on mapmyride.:thumbsup:

I think I followed it okay via the OS map on Bikehike. But cheers that'd be helpful. We'll be doing it in a couple of weeks, Friday 21st I think.

As an aside, is the Cat and Fiddle pub itself any strong reason for sticking to that route (i.e. a decent pint)?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
When you come out from the Goyt past the ranger station you are about 150 yards from the pub. I've not been in recently, but I think the guys who have the Snowgoose in Macclesfield have taken it over and that is very popular. Also from what Jmetz just said I might need to call in for a refreshment next time I am passing. :whistle:

Jmetz

Haha its the only reason we stop whilst cycling up that way! Was tempted to call in on the weekend when running up it but thought better of it incase of cramping.

Well worth a gander, lovely scenic views usually.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As Chris points out, his route via Brickworks is much quieter, but they are harder, if shorter. They are also more scenic in my opinion. The Cat is fine, it's just a long drag. There are a few corners though, on the run into Buxton where you can out run most cars, and give a few motorbikes a run for their money...

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
When you come out from the Goyt past the ranger station you are about 150 yards from the pub. I've not been in recently, but I think the guys who have the Snowgoose in Macclesfield have taken it over and that is very popular. Also from what Jmetz just said I might need to call in for a refreshment next time I am passing. :whistle:

Perfect - traffic free route with a scenic pub stop hardwired in!

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
As Chris points out, his route via Brickworks is much quieter, but they are harder, if shorter. They are also more scenic in my opinion. The Cat is fine, it's just a long drag. There are a few corners though, on the run into Buxton where you can out run most cars, and give a few motorbikes a run for their money...

We'll both be on tourers with camping gear, although I have cracked 40mph on the descents a couple of times. Not that I've got much to do with it, long span out with MTB gears by then.

/edit - Cheers all for the tips btw!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are planning camping, then deffo take Brickworks, Windgather and Goyt Valley, lovely route. No need to go straight over. I really like the Goyt climb, very quiet, great scenery, virtually no traffic.

Top Bottom