Made me smile this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Meh and thrice meh.

jonny jeez said:
oops sorry Panda, looks like I stole your comments earlier...wasnt paying attention

mind you, I used far fewer words;)

'Meh!'

-hows that for brevity?

Leggy

Hah. I work in research on organ transplants, and apparently cycle trauma has overtaken car accidents as the leading cause for cadaver kidney donation (around here anyway, not sure about the UK).

Trevrev

Veteran
recumbentpanda said:
I don't quite agree with this oft-repeated claim.

Apparently statistics show that few incidents of cyclist harm are due to RLJing by the cyclist. I would like to ask a lot of hard questions about those stats before I leaned any weight on them.

Even if they are sound, I feel that it is outweighed by the stress RLJing puts on everyone else, cyclists included. Being careful is good, but the more hazards one has to be careful about the sooner it is that you are likely to succumb to one. If I can't reasonably expect to cross an intersection on green without having to avoid RLJ-ing pillocks, or having to avoid motorists swerving to avoid same, then I am sorry, I see a greater risk to me there.

It may feel safer for the RLJ-ers getting ahead of the traffic, but it is just pushing the risk onto others -fellow cyclists and pedestrians.

Also, the prevalence of RLJing erodes the general climate of observance of the Highway Code, and encourages others (motorists included), to feel they can copy.

Finally, it makes motorists hate us, encouraging the lunatic fringe to rant, throw things, close pass, or even run us off the road, and for the rest to share in a general climate of disrespect for cyclists. (Yes they do that anyway, but its one more provocation we can afford not to give).

In my opinion, RLJing is a direct threat to me as a rider, no matter how 'safe' it may supposedly be for those doing it.

I wish some people would just see the funny side of the incident, rather than bring the whole thread down with the more serious side.

Leggy

Moodyman said:
Where's around here Leggy?

The land of Oz, where - well, I was going to say "where you send your cricket team for a thumping", but I see that's not the case just now :biggrin:.

Top Bottom