Madison Revell Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While cleaning the Scott after today's ride, I thought I'd just measure the rear dropouts on the Revell. I'd found that the 120mm spacing on the Peugeot mixte was demonic trying to get wheels for, and wondered what this one was like. Eased off the QR and got out the trusty Rabone Chesterman.

It's 130mm.

Which means I can throw anything i want in there.

So, here's the idea.
I'll sort out an 8-speed cassette, 12-36 if I can find one (doubtful...). I'll fit that to the Shimano r500s I've just taken off the Scott, and fit them in place of the 27x1.25s on there at the moment. The current Weinmann brakes look to have a long enough drop to cope.
I'll keep it as a downtube friction setup, and flip the North Road bars from the Peugeot to give a semi-dropped look. Brake levers from the Peugeot also, as they match the brakes.
Edit: it might also be that the Peugeot can take the 27x1.25s, in which case, win-win!
I'll make two different bikes out of two different bikes!

I've just remembered, I even have some tyres for the project, some 28mm Luganos that were one size too big for the Scott.
Bingo!

Parts list needed/already have:
Wheels: Shimano WH-R500 set. Just really to see how it goes, then later get hold of another set of R550s, which would look good with this if I remove all the decals.
Tyres - Luganos in stock, as are new tubes.
Cables: 1x brake inner and 2x gear inners. Outers of both in stock.
Brake levers, bars, and possibly stem nicked from the Peugeot P18 mixte in store.
Tools (and knowledge :whistle: ) to overhaul the BB and headset.
Supplies and more knowledge (paging @Gunk and @biggs682 !) for lightly renovating, as far as is possible, the paintwork.

So, a not-impossibly-expensive list. The tools will be the expensive bits.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCBassman I prefer patina over factory fresh paint , I normally wipe down with white spirit to remove some of the grime and just t cut and polish a couple of times.

As for tools I have managed to get quite a few of mine from car boots over the years along with some that have come from people who have given up cycling.

Shout if you need anything else as I need to start sorting out my garage ^_^

Gunk

Guru
I just deep clean with WD40 or White Spirit with rags and fine wire wool if needed.

I then use cutting polish and cut it back and then buff it up, my preference is to keep as much originality and patina as possible.

this came up really well, but was a lot of work to get it to this standard.

Gunk

Guru
Thinners will remove aerosol paint

Gears: I'm making the possibly erroneous assumption that the Suntour mech will have the range of movement needed to cover an 8-speed cassette. Certainly there won't be much in it , but I'd rather like to keep using the Suntour if at all possible. It would also be nice, but not essential, to replace the Shimano DT shifters with Suntour equivalents.

Right, here's the first fiddlings. All I've done is fit a cassette to the wheels and do a trial fit. Basically, it works, although it looks as though the Suntour RD won't do the job, so have fitted my old Sora mech. That has the same size cage, so with judicious chain length selection, may obviate the need hor a hanger extender. This mech was on a road triple before, it should handle a double easily.
Wheels: all good, but probably better with decals removed. What's best to remove after-decal goo?

Edit: 28mm Luganos fitted.

Tools arrived, just need the weather...
In other related news: the garage I rent which contains any bike not being ridden (currently the Trek and the Peugeot mixte) has decided to no longer allow me access. Repair man coming this afternoon. While he's sorting that, I will reduce the Pug to a rolling frame as I cannibalise it for this project. Will take saddle and post, bars and stem, brakes and mudgards. The mudguards in particular just need the stays cleaned up, otherwise they are shiny mirrors! Heavier than the plastics on the Revell at the moment, but they will look good.
Might also remove the rack and see if it is salvageable by some means. The 28c nylon gumwall Contis on it seem to be untouched by time, might keep those too...

A bit more done today, pix to follow tomorrow.
First ever threaded headset fettle; very dry old grease. Cleaned out, new grease, feels nice! Final check on that when it has a front brake.
Bars removed and flipped to see what it looks like. Think it will be good. Until I can get into my garage (door is jammed), and get the Pug stripped, these are just a temporary fitting. The pug stem is a little taller, and the bars are alloy. Decided I'll keep the Ritchey levers, as this is hardly a faithful restoration!
Next job is cables.

Top Bottom