Madison Revell Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another plus: my workshop for the next few days.

And the view if I turn around.

So, the next question: what about those pedal threads?:huh:
What research I've done so far indicates the chainset should be entirely standard. Should I add grease and more ft/lbs?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yup, no problem there. They just don't go on more than thread or two. Checked against the Scott in case I'd bought the wrong pedals, but same...
Never come across pedals with a different pitch thread, there are 2 sizes though 9/16ths and 1/2", the smaller ones are BMX normally although my Trike has em.
Is there a visible fault on the thread ?

Never come across pedals with a different pitch thread, there are 2 sizes though 9/16ths and 1/2", the smaller ones are BMX normally although my Trike has em.
Is there a visible fault on the thread ?

Nothing that I can see...Agree, only BMX and old French stuff is different. It was certainly a bit of a fight getting the old pedals off when I first got it, so maybe I just need to get in there and scrub around a bit, then use lots of grease...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want to clean out a tight crank thread and don't have a proper tap, you can make a DIY one from a pair of scrap pedal shafts with axial slots cut in the threaded end with an angle grinder. Make sure any swarf/burrs are removed then run the DIY tool through the crank arms using light machine oil or spray as a cutting lube. The cut slots will act as swarf breakers and clear any material removed out of the hole without it jamming.

If you want to clean out a tight crank thread and don't have a proper tap, you can make a DIY one from a pair of scrap pedal shafts with axial slots cut in the threaded end with an angle grinder. Make sure any swarf/burrs are removed then run the DIY tool through the crank arms using light machine oil or spray as a cutting lube. The cut slots will act as swarf breakers and clear any material removed out of the hole without it jamming.

Good tip, but waaaay beyond my competence, I'm afraid.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Good tip, but waaaay beyond my competence, I'm afraid.

Nothing difficult about it. If you can fit a pedal to a bike you can clean up a tight thread.
This is basic engineering benchwork, and may be done in any situation where you had a spare sacrificial part to hand but not the correct tap, or getting one specially for a one-off job would be prohibitively expensive. Not as quick or efficient as using the proper tool, but for DIY fettling this doesn't matter.

OK, old toothbrush and GT85 at the ready, I went to do battle with the pedals.
Soaking the brush, I screwed it in to the drive side crank, right through, and back out again. fetched pedal and spanner. Definitely easier, I slowly kept at it until it was all the way in. Excellent. Non-drive side: same process, but eventually, after about two-thirds of the thread, it went on easily. So, one tricky job that turned out to be not too tricky after all.
As that had taken far less time than anticipated, I decided to finish removeing the Shimano wheel decals. That took much longer, and I still have to get the gunk off....
:biggrin:

Home from Brentor later today.
Weather permitting, I'll fit the forgotten brake blocks, and then give it a quick spin.
Next work, though, is chainset and cranks off, and service the BB. For this, I need a thin wall 15mm socket. Are such things available, or is it a DIY thing?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Home from Brentor later today.
Weather permitting, I'll fit the forgotten brake blocks, and then give it a quick spin.
Next work, though, is chainset and cranks off, and service the BB. For this, I need a thin wall 15mm socket. Are such things available, or is it a DIY thing?
They are available on ebay. Iirc they are listed as a BMW spark plug socket. Mine was around £6 and came from China, eventually.

Top Bottom