Madison Revell Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, first ride, after fitting brake blocks and putting a washer inside the drive-side dropout. Light. Bars look wonderfully retro, but don't suit me at all. Will look for flatter, narrower ones a la Scott/Trek.
Braking is not great, although definitely needs more fettling. Will convert it, maybe, to nutted long-drop dual-pivots.
Gears: DT friction shifting not fun from high flat bars. Much wobbling! Probably better from lower bars, and with more experience. But indexing looms large in my mind. Less concerned about the FD, only two rings means one way or t'other, so may try and find a thumb shifter with a friction setting.
So, far from perfect, but a promising start.

Next steps, when back home next week.
Replace bars with straight narrow alloy item.
Then awaiting Sora flat-bar brake/shifters and will see what shenanigans I must undertake to make the left-hand triple indexed shifter do something with a non-indexed double. Not holding my breath on that one, but we'll see...
Will ignore the DT shifters and run full cables to the rear stops rather than fit cable stops on DT.

What I'd prefer, if possible, is to convert it to Allen bolts with flush dust caps. Much more elegant, mechanically.
And can I find any? What am I supposed to search for? Rats.
Have also managed to find a pair of 2x8 flat-bar EZ-Fire shifters! Identical to those I sent @Reynard but with a 2x left shifter. If I'm a really jammy so-and-so, it'll do the job even connected to the old Suntour front mech. If not, plenty of Shimano ones around!

Awaiting the weather...

And the weather ain't playin' ball, so it ain't.
:sad:

Top Bottom