Madison Revell Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And not a moment's work got done.
:sad:

Right, progress:
Today's start point:

New bars:

Grips and shifters fitted, brakes cabled. Badly, will shorten another day.

Band-on DT shifters removed, and...nope, the new Tiagra cable stops don't fit, or to be accurate, the bolts are too big. >>>>drawing board.

There seems to be a small square braze-on beneath the shifter mounting point...Or is it a bodged up repair?

Fitted Norco saddle and a chromed saddle clamp, just to pay some lip service to colour co-ordination!

Other things checked: took off NDS crank with new box spanner - 14mm end. Had a go at BB as there was play. Lock ring came off easily, bringing the cup with it. managed not to drop any bearings. Needs a good clean and regrease, but replaced it, no play, runs smooth. Refitted crank with new allen bolt and seal, and fitted similar to DS crank. Except the 14mm end of the new box spanner didn't fit. The 16mm end did. Just as well I got one with two ends!
That's it for today, getting cold and dark.

Next bit, tidy brake cables and fit new gear cables.
To which end, I've finally got the cable stops mounted on the old shifter band.

Now to find the motivation to go out in the cold and fit everything!

OK, steeled (pun intended!) myself to get out and do some work.
First: how to clamp, or more accurately wedge, a mixte in a workstand.

Starting point:

First job was to reduce those loopy brake cables to tidy up a bit. The cable the gears, rear first. This ended up being pretty loopy too, in an outward sense. It did index properly like that, but the kink at the frame stop was unacceptable to me eye, so a ty-rap was applied, sorry about the loud colour!
Before

After

Cabling up the front was straightforward, just set to loose and pulled tight. Worked perfectly, first time! Didn't even think about messing with it.
Cable stops on the down tube shifter band.

Finished, for now. Will try for a short spin tomorrow, weather permitting, although as this has mudguards, permission might be easier than normal!

The reality is that it needs stripping to the frame and properly cleaning and the paintwork attending to, and a couple of decals maybe, as well.
But I've no way of doing that, so it will be a task-at-a-time project to do what I can, when I can.
While I was at it, I weighed it as-is, with lights:

Not too bad.

Top Bottom