Magazines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Thank-you for my copies of Velovision... it's a great mag, and I love the travel reports, but it's rather 'recumbent-heavy' for my tastes. One thing I just can't get about recumbents is the price. The nice ones seem to be £5000, £8000, etc.! And before anyone asks, no, I wouldn't pay that for a car (because I would never buy a car), and I have never paid more than £1000 for a bike...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Me too - they arrived Today :evil:
I will have a read tonight and look forward to posting some good feedback asap!

Regards
SD

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
also received my 2 copies, so thanks for that. Impressive mag, however as Flying Monkey also points out above, it is rather recumbent heavy for me. But some excellent interesting articles.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:
Thank-you for my copies of Velovision... it's a great mag, and I love the travel reports, but it's rather 'recumbent-heavy' for my tastes. One thing I just can't get about recumbents is the price. The nice ones seem to be £5000, £8000, etc.! And before anyone asks, no, I wouldn't pay that for a car (because I would never buy a car), and I have never paid more than £1000 for a bike...

If you have the latest issue, yes there are couple of recumbents. Last issue we had a big test of electric bike kits. Sometimes it's town bikes/tourers. Some of that is down to what happens to be new and available for test at the time, and sometimes it's good to have a couple of comparable machines in the same issue.

And they aren't all as expensive as that - true, you're still talking about nearly 2 grand for a Trice (partly down to exchange rates at the mo, I gather), but gradually cheaper ones will appear, and as they get more popular, mass production economics come into play.

Anyway, glad you think it's a good read.:becool:

just jim

I liked them very much thanks - plenty of content to get through without experiencing the demographic sinking feeling of C+. I hadn't really studied trice's/ recumbents in much detail - some beautiful engineering there. They look like a blast.
The end of my sub for C+ is coming up -time for a switch perhaps.

NickM

Veteran
dav1d said:
Won't be trying Cycling Weekly (unless it has a decent "free gift" with it) as I'm not buying a cycling mag every week...
Don't worry - you only need to buy one copy, really. Then read it every Thursday.

There was a time long ago when it wasn't largely devoted to self-improvement programs... :thumbsdown:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Arch said:
If you have the latest issue, yes there are couple of recumbents. Last issue we had a big test of electric bike kits. Sometimes it's town bikes/tourers. Some of that is down to what happens to be new and available for test at the time, and sometimes it's good to have a couple of comparable machines in the same issue.

And they aren't all as expensive as that - true, you're still talking about nearly 2 grand for a Trice (partly down to exchange rates at the mo, I gather), but gradually cheaper ones will appear, and as they get more popular, mass production economics come into play.

Anyway, glad you think it's a good read.:thumbsdown:

Don't get me wrong, I would love one of those recumbent/upright combo tandems - and so would my wife - but we could just never afford it.

To add to the general praise, my wife, who is certainly not a bike fan but is a design fetishist, actually read the mags and said that it was much more interesting than any other bike mag she had ever seen - in fact it was the only bike mag she had ever enjoyed looking at!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:
Don't get me wrong, I would love one of those recumbent/upright combo tandems - and so would my wife - but we could just never afford it.

To add to the general praise, my wife, who is certainly not a bike fan but is a design fetishist, actually read the mags and said that it was much more interesting than any other bike mag she had ever seen - in fact it was the only bike mag she had ever enjoyed looking at!

Excellent! Really, it's always nice when people appreciate the whole thing, especially when it's not just because they are bike fanatics. I know I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a good all round read, as well as informative.

About time I was on the cover again, too....;)

VV really is the best mag around, I should probably renew my sub.. I'd enjoy AtoB a lot more if the editor wasn't such an insufferable twerp. C+s Paul Vincest makes me want to spew. I buy Road Bike Action, Dirt Rag and BIKE which are worth reading occasionally if only to see what's going on across the pond. MBUK, MBR, Cycling Weakly and Cycle Spurt are pure shite. I buy them occasionally just to remind myself how shite they are.

Octane, Custom Car, Practical Classics. Proper magazines.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mickle said:
VV really is the best mag around, I should probably renew my sub..

Careful, if you get this issue, it's got Spandex on it.

Of course, there's always the lottery as to whether I spot the envelope of any subscriber I happen to know when I'm stuffing the mags, and whether I have a pen handy to write hello on it....:tongue:

Last one I did, was in French!:biggrin:

I've just paid an arm and a leg (plus vat) for a complete set of Cycling from 1892.

I see Howell has come down to a Safety and is racing in America and Harris, Barden, Osborn and Shorland should go well this year:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
I've just paid an arm and a leg (plus vat) for a complete set of Cycling from 1892.

Isn't that going to make riding the Penny tricky?

I bet those are a great read. Do they have lots of adverts? I love old adverts...

OP
OP
D

dav1d

Arch said:
Isn't that going to make riding the Penny tricky?

I bet those are a great read. Do they have lots of adverts? I love old adverts...

There's one of those old metal bike adverts at Brookside Garden Centre, Poynton. Think it was for a Raleigh bike, and it was £10 something (can't remember exactly). There's a lot of other old adverts too, Cadbury's Bournville drink, pig feed, soap etc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have subscribed to Singletrack for the last four years and don't intend to renew - I find it too introspective.

Top Bottom