Magner's cider or the Emperor's New Clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Fnaar said:
Don't Bulmers also make woodpecker cider?
Is there not some weird thing where what is sold as Magners in the UK is Bulmers in Eire and vice-versa ?

My first ever legal drink was a pint of scrumpy in the Cowley Bridge pub in Exeter .... a lo-o-o-ng time ago.

:smile:

Renard

Rigid Raider said:
We decided to buy a bottle of this to see what all the fuss is about. The label claims it is made from a blend of 17 different apples - industrial apple slurry in other words? After a couple of mouthfuls I threw mine down the drain; it has virtually no flavour apart from a sulphury taint from the preservative, it's almost flat and worst of all it has a worrying orange colour. Presumably it is drunk on ice to disguise the fact that it doesn't really taste of much. The best description we could think up was alco-pops crossed with Irn-Bru. Truly disgusting and now I read on the web that sales have slumped - I wonder why?

When you search for reviews it's obvious that some of the reviews on Ciao were written by marketing executives working for Magners.

Anybody else tried it?

Please do not insult Irn Bru by comparing it with that rubbish :smile:.

Emperor's new clothes? So True! :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Have fun and maybe the day off work the next day.

The last beer festival I went to had run out of beer and it was cider and perry only. I popped in for a quick half and woke up on the wrong train in the wrong town six hours later :tongue: :biggrin: :?:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think magners is poor too RR. The only commercial one I like is Blackthorn. Never tried Aspall's for some reason.

Clive Atton

Über Member
A mate left a bottle after a party. I drank it at room temperature which goes against 'Magners' Lore' and I thought it tasted vaguely of vomit. I tend not to drink much vomit (at least not other people's) these days but I think it would be preferable to Magners - it's utter rubbish, send it all back to ireland.

barq

It tastes very weak to me. You might as well just buy something commercial and cheap like Strongbow and water it down. :?: However I don't hold the blending of apples against them because unlike pear cider / perry, it is normal to blend apples - with a few exceptions (e.g. Thatchers).

Bulmers in England are entirely separate to Bulmers in Ireland which is quite confusing.

I'm in New Jersey at the moment and I asked a barman to recommend a cider. He offered Magners.

wafflycat

Magners.... WafflycatMnr got drunk on it one night, egged on by the older crowd he was with. He did it once, he won't do it again and will not touch the stuff again. I was awake all night, making sure he didn't choke on his own vomit, and making him sip isotonic non-stop. On the plus side, the isotonic got him hydrated again despite the copious vomiting during the night, and he had no hangover.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If it's any comfort, the roll out of Magners outside of London and Scotland this summer has resulted in the share price of C&C almost halving.

Top Bottom