Magner's cider or the Emperor's New Clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We decided to buy a bottle of this to see what all the fuss is about. The label claims it is made from a blend of 17 different apples - industrial apple slurry in other words? After a couple of mouthfuls I threw mine down the drain; it has virtually no flavour apart from a sulphury taint from the preservative, it's almost flat and worst of all it has a worrying orange colour. Presumably it is drunk on ice to disguise the fact that it doesn't really taste of much. The best description we could think up was alco-pops crossed with Irn-Bru. Truly disgusting and now I read on the web that sales have slumped - I wonder why?

When you search for reviews it's obvious that some of the reviews on Ciao were written by marketing executives working for Magners.

Anybody else tried it?

longers

Legendary Member
I tried it once and came to the same conclusions you did - especially about the ice to disguise lack of flavour.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I love good cider, its almost the only alcoholic beverage I drink in summer. I most certainly do not drink Magners. It bears as much resemblance to cider as tea does to dog snot. It could only have been developed to sell to spotty teenagers with more money than taste buds. As they seem to take ice with anything, flavour is completely superfluous and an unnecessary expense for the producers.

domd1979

Veteran
On the subject of bottled cider, how long does it keep for...? I've got a random bottle in the cupboard that's probably been there for 5 or 6 years now...!

domd1979

Veteran
Its a bottle of Minchew's... 8.4%...
pint.gif

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Magners is evidence that advertising sometimes works... who the f*ck drank cider with ice before? Where was the Irish cider industry? I had never been aware of it! Tchoh!
Mind you, I'll drink anything, me, so a glass of Magners is OK by me....

I like a pint glass of Ice with my Magners, its really refreshing but I not fond of too many and I guess its best when you are thirsty; I prefer Guiness for a session. BTW Magners is called Bulmers in Ireland.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
HLaB said:
I like a pint glass of Ice with my Magners, its really refreshing but I not fond of too many and I guess it best when you are thirsty; I prefer Guiness for a session. BTW Magners is called Bulmers in Ireland.
Don't Bulmers also make woodpecker cider?

surfgurl

See if you can get some Brothers cider. It's sold in bottles in some of the big supermarkets. Lovely stuff, especially the festival strength, about 7%.
We've got a couple of cider farms nearby. I've just started working at a pub in town which serves cider from one of the local places. We have to use different glasses for the cider as it scratches the glasses.

Rob S

Rigid Raider said:
.The label claims it is made from a blend of 17 different apples

If your chicken nuggests bag label said they'd come from 17 different chickens you'd steer well clear!!! Irish cider my arse!!

Bulmers pear cider is nice though :smile:

Top Bottom