Magner's cider.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why do people drink this rubbish? I've just found the following on the web:

Ingredients List: hard cider, sugar, malic acid, sulfites to preserve
freshness, colours added, lightly carbonated.

Read more: http://www.ukcider.co.uk/blog/products/whats-in-magners-irish-cider.html#ixzz0piFbjyGj

This confirms my own opinion the first (and last) time I tried it that it tastes synthetic with a whiff of sulphur. But then I work in the flavour and fragrance industry and spend my days sniffing so what would I know?

I don't like it raw but with a Pint glass of Ice after a ride it makes a refreshing drink IMO.

MichaelM

Guru
I was round at a mate's house, he was drinking a pint of Magners with ice. I asked him wtf he thought he was doing.

A victory of advertising over reality?

domd1979

Veteran
Globalti said:
Why do people drink this rubbish? I've just found the following on the web:

No idea, beats me. Likewise why do people drink Worthington creamflow and similar vile substances when you can have proper beer.

Wolf04

I was in the Tyneside Irish Centre a couple of years back enjoying a all too rare post toon victory, several members of the fairly large group were drinking Magners on ice. Now I'm bias in that I've never liked cider, I find it cloying but as it seemed flavour of the month I asked if I could have a taste. Talk about the Emporer's new clothes it's poor quality cider with ice!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
domd1979 said:
No idea, beats me. Likewise why do people drink Worthington creamflow and similar vile substances when you can have proper beer.

Agreed!

The consumption of Magners has however dropped considerably of late... so the boom-time's over, people probably realise it's crap whilst others have moved on to the next 'trendy' drink.

Debian

It is disgusting stuff with a very "artificial" flavour.

Cider with ice ;)

Even more to the point, why do people drink lager :biggrin:

I'm sat here drinking the remnants of the real cider I bought from the farm on Sunday poured straight from the barrel into a 5L container. Cost me £7. OK, it's slightly chilled as I've been storing it in the fridge but it's non-fizzy and actually tastes of cider. :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

Debian said:
It is disgusting stuff with a very "artificial" flavour.

Cider with ice ;)

Even more to the point, why do people drink lager ;)

I'm sat here drinking the remnants of the real cider I bought from the farm on Sunday poured straight from the barrel into a 5L container. Cost me £7. OK, it's slightly chilled as I've been storing it in the fridge but it's non-fizzy and actually tastes of cider. :wacko:

Mostly I'm with you, particularly regarding real farmhouse cider, it's fuel for the gods.

I don't agree on your Lager comment, whilst much is utter crap, there are those that are a worthy addition to the beer fridge, particularly during the warmer months.
Peroni's OK for a light refreshing drink.
Pilsner Urquell and Budweiser Budvar are both good originals.
A few of us here have a liking for French Jupiler.
Spanish Mahou Green (the Red is too strong).
Singha
Then there are the Belgians...

Decent Lager is also much improved by serving it in a large wine glass rather than a pint pot.

So there is quite a bit of lager to like. Whilst English ale is my drink of choice for all its variety and complexity, there is much joy in a cool (NOT CHILLED*) lager on a summers day.

* Part of Lager's problem is that a) there is too much crap, Stella, Carling, Fosters, Carlesberg etc and B) it's always served too cold.

boylucifer

I thoroughly enjoy a Magners with ice, I also enjoy a nice cold lager - although from the list of "crap" above the only one is Stella, my general lager of choice is Cobra, and I also enjoy an odd bottle of real ale...
Thankfully they are not mutually exclusive!!!

Although I am well jealous of Debian and his straight from the farm cider!!!

Bayerd

Über Member
boylucifer said:
Although I am well jealous of Debian and his straight from the farm cider!!!

Homemade Scrumpy is easy enough to make and dirt cheap.

Take one demijohn, sanitise it and add 3ltrs 100% Apple Juice. Slowly heat 1 ltr Apple Juice and add a tablespoon of honey. Make 1/2 a cup strong black tea (for the tannin). Add the apple/honey mixture and the tea to the demijohn. If you like your cider with bits in you can also chop an apple and heat with the juice and honey. Add a teaspoon of wine yeast, shake and leave somewhere warm for a few days until it's stopped bubbling. Syphon off into bottles and leave for a week or so. If you like fizzy cider add about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the bottles at syphoning stage.

After the cider has had about a week or so in the bottle it's ready to drink:tongue:. Hey presto, one gallon of strong cider for £2. There are many variations on this theme you can do by adding berry fruit juices or Ribena before fermentation.

Meanwhile back to the OP, Magners was never drunk with ice until a couple of years ago when some bright marketing spark had the idea of pouring the tasteless piss over ice and billing it as the latest thing.

Fab Foodie

Bayerd said:
Meanwhile back to the OP, Magners was never drunk with ice until a couple of years ago when some bright marketing spark had the idea of pouring the tasteless piss over ice and billing it as the latest thing.

Correct... and people fell for it, hook line and sinker!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
....because chilling a drink takes away the taste - or disguises the lack of taste as in the case of lagers.

The only good thing about Magner's was that it introduced me to Sharon Shannon, whose music was used for the TV commercial.

darkstar

Whey! Another opportunity for the beer snobs to vent. 'I only drink the proper stuff, because i'm not like everyone else' haha. People drink Magners with lots of ice becuase it's cold and refreshing on a hot summers day, more so than that expensive 'proper' cider you can buy and drink at room temperature. Same reason people drink freezing cold larger, the temperature takes away the slightly off taste to produce a refreshing beverage. I like all beers, stouts, ales, larger etc but please can people stop this snobbish 'proper' beer attitude, it's just ridiculous.

Top Bottom