Magnetic Resistance broken on indoor bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhinoCycling

Hi
I have had an indoor spin bike for a while and went to use it the other day and the magnetic resistance no longer works. i.e. Turning the Resistance Clockwise or Counter Clockwise doesn't increase or decrease resistance. Even pushing the resistance knob down doesn't apply the brake.

when i removed the casing this is what I found. Not sure how the washer and nut got into these positions.
P1.jpg

I have realigned the washer and nut. I can now see when twisting the resistance clockwise to add resistance, the thread is pushing the strip of magnets closer to the wheel but there is still no resistance being applied.
P2.jpg

If anyone has had an issue similar to the description and or magnetic resistance any helpful suggestions would be great.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Ajax Bay

Guru
From 'this distance' and no knowledge of this mechanism, I'd merely offer a suggestion, and :welcome:.
The washer and nut had come from somewhere (unless just left there during the fabrication) and will have had a function.
You need to discover (and fit back) where they came from. Maybe your first 'guess' is wrong.
What function does that 'random' washer on the right perform?
Think how the mechanism works and how the nuts/washers effect and/or limit its movement.

Top Bottom