Mainstream, mid price mobile thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Without looking at overpriced iPhone or top end S series Samsungs or the various Chinese brands, what's a decent way to get a midrange, functional mobile?
So, you say you are sticking with ID Mobile. So that means you have a choice between PAYG or a pay monthly contract. Within the latter you either buy SIM only and buy a phone yourself or via the contract.

The next question is - how much do you want to pay for a phone?
The latest Pixel 8 is £699 or £999 for the Pro. That's at the expensive end of the market. You could get a new 7a which is £449. etc.
Or via a plan you could spend £29.99 a month have infinite data and a Pixel 8. Given that an infinte data sim only is £15 a month. You are paying £15 a month for the phone over two years or £360 for the phone plus £100 up front. That's not a bad deal at all!

For the Pixel 8 Pro it works out at £43 per month. Which is £672 (plus £100 up front) for the phone overall after the cost of the SIM.

The other tool you have is loyalty. Depending on how long you have been with ID Mobile you may be able to play the "I'm leaving" card. The way this works is that you go and find the best possible deal you can get on the handset you want and then use this as a bargaining chip with your mobile phone company.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Motorola G series. Look at which option best meets your needs and go for it.

I've had several over the last decade plus and they are consistently good, inexpensive and run the latest version of Android (usually) with no bloat ware like many of the premium brands.

I recently upgraded to a g13 from a g8 , the old phone was still going strong but it couldn't see the newer WiFi frequency standard so it was time to change

postman

Legendary Member
I have a Samsung Galaxy A32 5g from Virgin now O2 it's now dropped to just over £ 9 a month,i have had it a while now.It's a no brainer for a lump like me to pay £21 or higher for something i am not capable of getting the best out of it.My kids mind you they do the lot.daughter even plans car routes on hers.

Top Bottom