Major Races may go ahead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Seemingly the TdF , La Vuelta and Giro may go ahead later in the year over a proposed 3 month period , if so It wil be a manic 3 months in the racing world , some other things were mentioned also

There will be some very tired riders at the end of that!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Clearly riders can’t be expected to perform at peak across the 3 tours. Will they even realistically be able to fit all three in?
The support teams will be more tired than the riders.
they also want to squeeze in the one day classics and the Worlds. It can’t all fit.
I presume minor tours and the traditional warm up events will be scrapped.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
If it does go, the lessor known and fringe support riders may get their big chance , personally though , I can’t see them going ahead if the virus stats do not change dramatically though

Yes, I would guess that less GC contenders would "double-up" than usual, so the "lieutenants" would get more chances to lead their teams. (Short odds on an Ineos triple??)

There are always fixture clashes in a normal year, so I'd guess that a few organisers will put on - say - a Flandrian Classic during the Giro, knowing that there are enough pros around to race; better to have a race with a weakened field than no race.

So we'll get some unexpected winners, for sure. Some will feel that the races are poorer for that - well, vive la difference, I say!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I think the Dauphine Libere will run towards the end of July and the TdF in August. They can't do it in September as there would be no spectators on the road side due to the French population being back at work.

Adam4868

Guru
I'm guessing nothing's set in stone but...
Screenshot_20200415-201056~2.png

dodgy

Giro in October, those high stages could get interesting.

Adam4868

Guru
Daylight shouldn’t be an issue, and it’s unlikely to snow in October but autumn storms and high winds could be a problem.

wet leaves on the road could be an issue too.
Race of the falling leaves....less of a problem more of a good thing I say 😊

Top Bottom