Major refurbishment. Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
DSC04730 1.JPG
DSC04731 1.JPG
DSC04733 1.JPG

Friend's Mixte framed-bike. Not ridden since the early 1990's. She wants to ride it again and wants to know whether it can be rescued. Well, it can, but is it worth it? I think not. The frame is not 531 and it has no sentimental value. Scrap heap?
Look at those plastic brackets for those ghastly Wonderlights: remember them?

Kies

Give it away to a free cycle place so people can work on and restore ,but not worth it to your friend. Time for a new bike

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It can of course be rescued but your friend will have to deceide if it is worth spending the money on a full restore. You could probably get it into ridable condition for a little money plus a lot of work, but it might not look too pretty. You will have to figure out which way to go, or not bother at all. It's not a quality bike so a your decision will be driven by your heart rather than your head.

compo

Veteran
Having just completed a restoration on a bike only slightly better than your one I will say no, it isn't worth it. Just spend half hour on Ebay and price up the parts you will need, compared to getting a reasonable second hand bike. As someone said to me on another thread, although the restoration is not cost effective it depends if you treat it as a hobby which I supect wouldn't be the case with this job.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
a quick wipe down and polish will sort frame out , strip clean re grease headset & bottom bracket . wheels look like they might clean up so all in all well worth rescue

Look at those plastic brackets for those ghastly Wonderlights: remember them?
Yup, I had those on my 10 speed Sun racer when I was doing my morning paper round in the early 80's, and looking back now I can see how they got their name, they really do make me wonder ^_^

il_fullxfull.253910693.jpg

I seem to recall them coming out as an updated version of the old Ever Ready brick lights.

5.jpg

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
shame that betty as it would do somebody a good turn
I am riven with guilt, but too many other projects. :cry:
Still, it's been languishing in her garden shed for twenty odd years, another few months won't hurt........

gbb

Legendary Member
It could amost certainly be turned into a very useable bike, those old Raleighs last forever, but not worth spending too much on as stated earlier.
Its the kind of bike I like to play with, a good clean, lube and adjust, I suspect there are many miles left in it...it will never look pretty though.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would definitely give it a go. You will almost certainly find that all major components will function perfectly well with a good clean and re-lube (unless they have covered inter-galactic mileage). You're probably just looking at tyres, tubes, brake blocks and cables to make a rideable bike with character.

If you want to upgrade, that is a different matter but a budget set of alloy wheels won't break the bank but the one big change I'd always make on a bike like that is to lower the gearing.

gilespargiter

Veteran
Of course it is worth getting going, in fact it probably does go! It won't look pretty but look at those rear sprockets - it has hardly turned a wheel from new. Just needs wiping with an oily rag, tyres and cables. It will do hundreds of miles.

gilespargiter

Veteran
That's right, yer grumpy old git :highfive: man after me own heart. None of this b****y "retro" nonsense - it's the genu-ine article. Don't make em like that anymore. Bet their won't be many of these new fangled breakfast cereal bikes that get to be that old.....

Top Bottom