Major refurbishment. Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilespargiter

Veteran
You can certainly fit a six speed Rabbit and I'am not quite certain but pretty sure you can fit a seven speed - you may have to fit another shim between the cone and locknut to do this - if so, in order to keep the bike "in track" do exactly the same to the other side. You will then need to spring the drop outs slightly to fit the wheel.
Others on here may be able to provide specific dimensions?

Your next thing will be a chain. You will come across all sorts of nonsense about them on various internet sites. So here follows the basic criteria: (I work in imperial - if you want metric then google a conversion chart).

All normal bicycle chains in the entire universe have a 1/2" pitch. The distance between the pins about which they articulate.

They come in three widths; 1/8" - to be found on BMX's and most older sturmey and single speeds, including fixies, also derailleurs upto four speed.
3/32" - The most common width (Which you most certainly have) - Hub geared, single speeds and fixies that are not 1/8" and derailleurs over four speed and under nine speed.
11/128" derailleurs over eight speed.

For what it is worth, here are a couple of my observations and opinions on them;
In the last nine months I have found three supposedly expensive 3/32 including one of my own snap, by shearing a side plate - a hitherto unusual way for a chain to snap. I now use dirt cheap (around £6) KMC chains and have had no further problems. One has done over three thousand miles and I (being a total heretic) do not waste good cycling time by messing about cleaning them. Liberal doses of motor vehicle gear oil is all they get to wash them off. They may not provide the ultimate in smooth gear changing but they do keep on keepin on!

11/128" also seem to suffer an undue amount of breakages and additionally the sprockets wear unduly quickly. I have heard of a number of people revert to seven or eight speeds as a result. Having discovered that once you have at least five gears range is more important.

I hope that is not all regarded as off topic?

Teuchter

Über Member
One has done over three thousand miles and I (being a total heretic) do not waste good cycling time by messing about cleaning them. Liberal doses of motor vehicle gear oil is all they get to wash them off. They may not provide the ultimate in smooth gear changing but they do keep on keepin on!
Glad I'm not the only one who lubes his chains with engine oil. Always worked fine on my motorbike chains, applied with a toothbrush to the inside edges (though now I just ride a shaft drive and change the shaft oil every two years). Couldn't see a reason not to apply the same to bicycle chains.

Rabbit

Regular
I'm looking at moving up to a six speed freewheel at the moment - searching for an old Suntour which might do the job but I've managed to put some indexed downtube shifters on so the gears are easier to shift for my daughter, so need a freewheel to go with those. Some of the Suntour Perfect and Winner freewheels will, I think. As for chains - I haven't done anything about that yet apart from check it's not ridiculously stretched. Interesting point about not necessarily getting more for your money if you pay a lot!

gilespargiter

Veteran
Glad I'm not the only one who lubes his chains with engine oil. Always worked fine on my motorbike chains, applied with a toothbrush to the inside edges (though now I just ride a shaft drive and change the shaft oil every two years). Couldn't see a reason not to apply the same to bicycle chains.

Yes it definitely works; my chains last at least as long and probably longer than many peoples. Shaft drives are brilliant save a lot of messing about, I also ride one. I know when the oil needs changing because I run out of bicycle chain oil :rolleyes:.

Yes Suntour kit is usually very good Rabbit - especially if you can land on the stuff that was made in Japan just after Shimano bought them. My "dream bike" (Carlton Corsair) is fully equipped with Suntour - but I prefer it not indexed.

By using a shim I have been mounting downtube shifters on the vertical part of the handle bar stem, you just need a cable stop where the shifters usually go and a short length of outer cable to the gear leavers. You need to be careful to adjust them so that the levers have no chance of catching the top tube.

porteous

Veteran
That is what I think Porteous.
It has reminded me that 10 or 11 months ago someone showed me a bike that looked identical to that, except it was black and carried Raleigh badges, it was also badged as 531, it looked as if it had original paint. Although I only rode it round the yard, I was surprised at how good it felt and rode.

Mind you; I would regard straight bars as a downgrade...

It was probably a Raleigh Richmond, most of which had 531 frames made by Carlton in Nottingham. My wife has one. I agree about straight bars, but my female relatives insist.

porteous

Veteran
It's still in her shed. Told her I'll get round to it. One of her daughters has been allotted 'bike cleaning duty' heh heh.

You should have it finished by now. Go on; Show us! I have just upgraded my wife's Richmond and daughter's Raleigh Mixte racer to ten speed from 5, took about 2 hours each and my wife now happily does 20 miles plus, which is a huge improvement over............. err..............,nothing.

9580274035_bd67a84289_b.jpg
harvest 2013 004 by CraigWales, on Flickr

9583051452_f842213467_b.jpg
harvest 2013 002 by CraigWales, on Flickr
4137734935_71465b2204_b.jpg
Raleigh Mixte rebuilt for my daughter, by CraigWales, on Flickr
One I did for my daughter, now 10 speed with the change levers as the Richmond. £10 at local auction. Paint was good but new wheels, flat bars, etc.

wisdom

Guru
Wish i could land on a bargain like that.My daughter wants to ride a bit more. She has a cheapish suspension mtb,but i would like to do something like that up for her

porteous

Veteran
Wish i could land on a bargain like that.My daughter wants to ride a bit more. She has a cheapish suspension mtb,but i would like to do something like that up for her

You would be surprised how many are about. Keep an eye on Fleabay, and the small ads in your local paper. I have also found the chaps at the local recycling centre really helpful (Put £5 in the tea money and they will usually let you know if a bike comes in). The "preloved" website is good too, sometimes Gumtree if you are in a big town. Try putting an ad in your local newsagents window "old cheap ladies bike wanted", something always turns up if you have patience, you would be surprised how many sheds contain good unused old bikes.

Accept anything at all you are offered free, you will usually get enough usable bits to make the work worth while.

The blue bike in the photo above cost £10 off E-Bay and cost a further £75 in bits, mainly new wheels (£39) and tyres (£20) flat bars NOS £10). The rest was just elbow grease and adjustment. If pennies are short do it over a longer period buying bits as you go. I usually replace wheels with new, but if the rust is not too bad old Raleigh wheels come up quite well with wire wool and effort.

I reckon the result was a bike you would need to spend at least £300-£400 to match with new.

The worst I have ever had were the two below:
Before:
4976353995_b6044832f5_b.jpg
THE Pathfinder 001 by CraigWales, on Flickr

3447406104_bcee7b0b2e.jpg
Pathfinder 1 by CraigWales, on Flickr

After:
5708173350_d846fe9b30_b.jpg
1956 Pathfinder restored by CraigWales, on Flickr

5392677503_d2cd97fd7d_b.jpg
winter 11 & pathfinders 002 by CraigWales, on Flickr

Good Luck

Tony Smith

Look at refurbishing it as a 'labour of love'. Its the most relaxing pastime I've found in a long while, its creative and very satisfactory when you see it 'up and running'.
Don't throw a fortune at it, you don't have to just a little care and time will do it.

artgarfheihkel

Hello, new here. Can anyone give me spec on the Raleigh Richmond wheels - what make are they? How many teeth on the rear five cogs? Thanks.

Top Bottom