Major refurbishment. Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This thread reminds me how far we've come in the last 20 or so years. Mixtes were an okay solution to a problem no longer in existence, IMHO. Smaller riders have a better choice of wheelsets, and frames now. Mixtes were rather springy compared to diamond frames. Newer technology and materials allow for a better cycling experience, and this from a guy who fixes up old bicycles. I agree with Asterix. Wash it, give it a bit of oil and grease, and take it to a Parish Sale and contribute it .

gilespargiter

Veteran
This thread reminds me how far we've come in the last 20 or so years.

Here some interesting food for thought then; Since I was born in 1958 the average speed of the winners of the TdF has increased by 2.5Km/hr and seems directly proportional to the introduction of rest days and the reduction in mileage, rather than known peaks and troughs in doping.

So; I wonder how far we have come?

porteous

Veteran
It stands your friend in at exactly £0 and these are nice frames. I agree with those that say a good clean and lube would probably get it ride-able. I have restored about half a dozen of these over the last few years and they are all being ridden regularly and enjoyed. The TI tube may not be Reynolds, but not to be sneezed at either. Dump the old lamps (they are probably worth a few bob on e-bay) and replace with cheap modern. The fuzzy saddles come up well with a good wash and these bikes are easy to upgrade to straight bars if your friend is so inclined. The wheels look OK in the pics, so there is a fair chance that all it needs is a good wash and service, and perhaps treat it to some new tyres.

Your friend's question was "can it be rescued" and the answer is probably "yes, and easily". Something of this standard bought new now would probably set her back £250-300 for anything beyond the BSO range. If it gets her back riding then it's a no brainer IMHO.

gilespargiter

Veteran
That is what I think Porteous.
It has reminded me that 10 or 11 months ago someone showed me a bike that looked identical to that, except it was black and carried Raleigh badges, it was also badged as 531, it looked as if it had original paint. Although I only rode it round the yard, I was surprised at how good it felt and rode.

Mind you; I would regard straight bars as a downgrade...

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
It's still in her shed. Told her I'll get round to it. One of her daughters has been allotted 'bike cleaning duty' heh heh.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't think it's anything too fancy, as the derailleur hanger separate from the stamped metal dropouts, safety levers and basic looking rear derailleur and chainring would indicate . But it does have some nice touches, just not enough to dissuade my view that a new bicycle could be nicer. (Depending on the bicycle, of course)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
By the Bye, I just saw a bike, like the original posters,
on offer on Craigslist in Champaign-Urbana, Il. for 135 USD.
Doesn't mean he'll get that, but this fellow is
usually reasonable.

gilespargiter

Veteran
Of course you are right Gravity Aided, it is pretty subjective whether it is worth cleaning or not. I just think what a shame to waste more energy smelting steel or even worse aluminium (five times more energy than steel) when you have a well designed machine that rides well and just needs a bit of lube before you.

I must say, I think that the gear hanger is probably not a good guide for quality in this case as many would have been single speed or Sturmey hub gears.

Teuchter

Über Member
Another vote for clean it up, lube it and get it back on the road.

There are plenty of bikes out on the roads that are only a couple of years old that look in far worse state than that old mixte and would have been an inferior ride to it even when they were new. It's all well and good to bang on about quality when you're used to riding supposedly high quality frames and components. Your average casual cyclist (and a good many not so casual ones!) are perfectly happy with a bike that is simply comfortable, fits more or less okay and changes gear and stops as it should. This looks like it would fit the bill perfectly.

gilespargiter

Veteran
Another vote for clean it up, lube it and get it back on the road.

There are plenty of bikes out on the roads that are only a couple of years old that look in far worse state than that old mixte and would have been an inferior ride to it even when they were new. It's all well and good to bang on about quality when you're used to riding supposedly high quality frames and components. Your average casual cyclist (and a good many not so casual ones!) are perfectly happy with a bike that is simply comfortable, fits more or less okay and changes gear and stops as it should. This looks like it would fit the bill perfectly.

Yep^^ It's basically down to whether you are a "fashion victim" or not IMV.

Rabbit

Regular
I'm just restoring an old Dawes Galaxy mixte for my daughter - it's sort of frustrating and fun in equal measure but one thing it's definitely doing is teaching me how bikes are put together - I'm something of a novice at this. Just at the 'how to true a wheel' stage having been through the intricacies of cantilever brake adjustment, a seized handlebar stem, cracked rear hub, and how to change a stuck freewheel. One day it will be all perfect... like that Raleigh above... I hope.

i would imagine that with a decent clean, the lady with the shed may change her mind and see it as s pretty decent bike that should with a bit of care, keep going for a long while yet.

you could spend more to buy a supermarket bso than it would cost to do this up and still be chucking the bso away first.

any pics of after the clean up?

gilespargiter

Veteran
Good to hear you are putting another nice ride that will match anything currently available for all round usefulness, back to rights Rabbit. My neighbour rides one albeit not a mixte. He has been using it for commuting/social transport and leisure for over a year now. He has told me on more than one occasion that he is so pleased he allowed me to persuade him to spend 50 or 60 quid on it - which I used to do it up. He says it has slashed the time and cost of his commuting at the same time as making him independent of transport services and being able to go visiting as he pleases. He also says he feels much fitter as a result and can get to places for his rock climbing that were previously pretty inaccessible to him. Anyway point is well worth it, in so many different ways. One thing he did buy of his own volition was a very good lock for it - as he realised what a valuable machine it is to him.

Freewheel removing is often a thing that those not familiar with it find difficult. So for what it is worth and to any others interested; Having obtained the use of the correct extractor tool - most types are quite cheaply and easily available - Most importantly it must be engaged properly. To do this take off the axle nut. On some you also need to remove the cone locknut and a wide spacer which stops the tool engaging. This sometimes necessitates loosening the cones on the other side of the wheel, so that you can draw the axle through enough to get a spanner on the "freewheel" side ones - replace the axle by running the cones up finger tight. Fit the extractor and run the axle nut up to it, just about finger tight, to keep it firmly located. Grip it so that the wheel is horizontal in a firmly fastened vice. With the tyre fitted and at least partly inflated - turn the wheel, in the same direction that the chain pulls it. Loosen freewheel. Undo the axle nut and run the freewheel off.
That method undoes them easily and prevents any sideways forces that can buckle the wheel.

Another thing people often have a problem with is undoing the Bottom bracket cup that is under the chainring (RH side). - if you do not have a big enough spanner to fit it very firmly and well - using a vice in the same way as for the freewheel is a good method. They do not have to be wrenched up tight on replacement - just firmly is amply sufficient. All the parts to replace them with original are easily available; these are the most long lasting, cheap and reliable type of BB. SJS cycles have all you need.
Perhaps worth considering is that while at this point you have the opportunity to fit a gear range that can out gun anything on the road that comes from a shop, in both high and low directions (except my bike!). By fitting a longer axle to the BB and using a triple with a custom range of chainrings 24- 39-52 for a suggestion. You need to use a MTB wide range derailleur. On the rear wheel a freewheel/cassette from 13-32 (as a suggestion) and again using a MTB wide range derailleur. The derailleurs can easily be obtained from BSO's in skips and such like - some of them are actually quite good quality.
I don't know if anyone will find that useful - but it is my tuppence worth.

Rabbit

Regular
Thanks for those words of advice - the only thing I haven't touched yet is the bottom bracket so those are useful hints. Also hadn't thought about fitting a triple chainring - not a bad idea as the old Dawes has only a five speed freewheel (although I think it might take six if they are close spaced). The one thing that has struck me is that although bikes seem mechanically quite simple - in principle, at least - once you start taking them apart you realise how complicated they are and that if you remove a simple part without looking at it first you can be sure that when you put it back it's going on the wrong way, upside down and back to front!

Top Bottom