Make a non-run of the mill music recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Here's a selection:

Watch Dudley knocking out some superb scratching and rasping, amusingly to Peter Cook's chagrin.

One of the original racketeers, little known.

Of course, it's fashionable to ridicule Sailor, but those with a bit more savoir faire know the truth.

Lastly, check out this fascinating X-15 video with the inspired choice of RL Burnside's Poor Boy as soundtrack. The sequence from 3'00" to 3'50 is absolutely stunning if you like a bit of speed and derring-do, even allowing for the speeding-up of the video. :whistle:

Foghat

Few people have heard of the 70s film Crystal Voyager. Those that have in my experience are only ever aware of Pink Floyd's excellent Echoes, which accompanies the mesmerising end sequence of big wave tube surfing, filmed using George Greenough's innovative techniques.

Look beyond Echoes, though, and you have a superb original soundtrack of the most uplifting surfing music ever recorded, that no one ever seems to have heard of, all by a shortlived Australian band (also called 'Crystal Voyager') that achieved almost nil recognition for their highly rewarding music.

The film is well worth purchasing for the soundtrack alone, and it's interesting to see the globe-trotting lifestyle of the early 70s surfing pioneers.

mangaman

The Velvet Curtain said:

Excellant band! Top choice.

I knew them a bit (one of minutest claims to fame). Their album "From Lubbock to Clintwood East" is excellant.

I also love a bit of dub reggae from back in the day - my favourite is "Pounding systems" by Dub Syndicate. Light a spliff, crank up the volume and enjoy (especially the amazing drumming) :laugh:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTBlIXSky0

mangaman

By the by, I was after the obscure 70s album "Dreadlock affair" by Jah Woosh which I finally found on e-bay.

The bloke was great - obviously off his head. He was a bit slow to respond to my request when I'd paid and the CD hadn't arrived and he eventually e-mailed with -
"Is Sussex ready for the Woosh?" which I thought was cool (and quite a good point)

Wen he sent it he attached a handwritten note saying "Keep Skanking" signed "The Streatham Massive"

Cracking stuff

Norm

gaz said:
DUB STEP!!!
La Roux - In for the kill (Skream remix)
note.. you need a sub for this and it starts to drop at 30 seconds and really goes for it at 1.51 but then goes even further
Nice... but it would be better without that annoying noise (a.k.a. the vocals) over the top of it. I want to love her music, having been there first time around, but her voice makes me want to rip my own ears off.

Stephenite said:
Anyone else use grooveshark?
Not until about 2 minutes ago. Thanks.:laugh:

My suggestions would be... ooh... golly... my tastes are broad.

First up has to be Marc Broussard - Home Doesn't really fit a category, it's a bit of Louisiana Blues with cajun and becoming more like guitar rock as it goes and... well, I love it, listen for yourself.

Next is Matrix & Futurebound - Skyscraper, probably a Gaz-pleaser as it needs a sub to be heard properly and I think I've posted it on here before.

Coming back to stuff a bit more mainstream, but probably not widely known, is a Norwegian group called Lorraine with Perfect Cure. Saw them live a few years ago, good powerful stuff, IMO, although possibly a bit Kaiser Chiefs for some.

Getting louder, a Dutch goth-metal group who would surely win the "Most closest sound to Evanescence since Evanescence" is Within Temptation with See Who I am. No, really, you don't need to thank me. :biggrin:

Anyone for Jazz? Madeleine Peyroux - Don't Wait Too Long is about the best night-club special I know.

To close, an Icelandic Kiwi called Hera with Feels So Good. I am in lust with her... sorry, I mean I really appreciate her vocal range and find deep meaning in her lyrics and... yeah, ok, she's cute.:tongue:

mangaman

theclaud said:
Tran Quang Hai... the spoonmeister!

How did you find this tc? Are you a spoon affacianado, or did you stumble across it? :laugh:

I love his style - the unconventional use of arms and teeth. A Hendrix for the spoon playing community. Except it'd hard to set fire to spoons.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
mangaman said:
How did you find this tc? Are you a spoon affacianado, or did you stumble across it? :laugh:

I love his style - the unconventional use of arms and teeth. A Hendrix for the spoon playing community. Except it'd hard to set fire to spoons.

Follow some more of the links - he's not just a spoonmeister; he can do all sorts of astonishing things with overtones. I just chose it because he's incredible, and I thought it would be predictable for me to post Ben Webster or Johnny Hodges, even though they are the opposite of "run of the mill" :biggrin:. Actually I was hoping there was a Youtube recording of Max Miller's "Be Sincere"...

Foghat

Top stuff, tudles. Nice spoons too!

Trust all's well in the land of CC idlers? :laugh:

Top Bottom