Make your bike more Horse Friendly....fit a bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Seeing as it's all down to training, maybe the trainers should put some effort into getting their horses used to the sound of a bell?
yesterday at work, a driver suggested that all the cyclists walk off site, just so the drivers didn't have to bother to look left for cyclists coming through a contraflow on site (i run the cycle group which is why they suggested it to me). I suggested that they didn't walk off site, under any circumstances, just because the drivers can't be arsed to look left. I would suggest you show the same courtesy to horses, it's a damn lot of effort to get a horse used to a bell just because you can't be arsed to speak up.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
yesterday at work, a driver suggested that all the cyclists walk off site, just so the drivers didn't have to bother to look left for cyclists coming through a contraflow on site (i run the cycle group which is why they suggested it to me). I suggested that they didn't walk off site, under any circumstances, just because the drivers can't be arsed to look left. I would suggest you show the same courtesy to horses, it's a damn lot of effort to get a horse used to a bell just because you can't be arsed to speak up.

Mmm, bear in mind the OP wanted us (cyclists) to jingle our bells, now we seem to be debating the merits of training horses not to be spooked by bells. At the risk of introducing another beast, isn't the tail wagging the dog now' or summat?

That said, I agree with the sentiment, and us all being sensible; live and let live and all that

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would suggest you show the same courtesy to horses, it's a damn lot of effort to get a horse used to a bell just because you can't be arsed to speak up.

you're missing my point, possibly deliberately.

Why would anyone instinctively know what does and doesn't spook horses.. we didn't all have one as a child. I suggested the rider/trainer take some responsibility in preparing their animals for life in the modern world... but clearly that's too much 'effort'.

I'm perhaps over cautious, but I slow down and move as wide as I can. Offering a cheery 'hello' as I approach, making sure I get eye contact from the rider as I slowly pass when it's safe, watching the horse all the time. I've had a little experience horse riding, and I think some non-riders under-estimate how difficult it can be when a horse spooks.

Personally, I much prefer someone to talk to me instead of dinging a bell. Some I ride with ding the bell like crazy at people walking on single track roads, they mean it in a well mannered way, but it does make me cringe.

GrasB

Veteran
Horses can hear the engine noise fairly well and it gradually gets louder. Bikes are nice and quiet and the horse thinks that something is sneaking up on them from behind. All my lot are quite happy when a bike approaches them from the front as they can see something.
One thing I've learnt is to get a nice loud freewheel & at the first hint of a horse being seen stop pedalling.
A few weeks back I was doing about 35-40mph on my low racer as I spot what I think is a horse rider behind hedge on a bend. I simply feather the brakes & freewheel round the corner. Yes it was a horse rider, so I sit up as best I can & put my glasses on my forehead. Our conversation goes like this:
Me: Hello.
Horse rider: I like you!
Me: Oh?
HR: We could hear you a long way off.
Me: Yeah?
HR: Yes, he could hear that clicking & wasn't so startled by your appearance.
Me: Good :smile:
HR: He's still uneasy though.
Me: Shame :sad:
HR: Well, it's an unusual thing isn't it.
Me: Yes
HR: Take care :hello:
Me: Bye :hello:
The reason for my one word answers was because I was gasping for breath. The horse rider understood I could manage about one word before gulping in my next breath & did their best to give me opportunity to say something.

If it is likely to behave like that, have you considered that it might not be a good idea to ride that horse on the roads?
Horses are fear and flight animals, no amount of training will prevent them from becoming skittish if someone sneaks up on them. I know when I am out cycling and another cyclist bombs past, sometimes I jump with surprise. it does not take much effort to just call out Coming by about 30 feet behind a horse and it rider. or indeed another cyclist or walker.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was out cycling today... as one does.
Approached a horse, so decided to freewheel a bit and say hi to let horse and rider know I was there. The rider turned the horse round to face me rather then let me come past.
First time I have encountered that.

buggi

Bird Saviour
you're missing my point, possibly deliberately.

Why would anyone instinctively know what does and doesn't spook horses.. we didn't all have one as a child. I suggested the rider/trainer take some responsibility in preparing their animals for life in the modern world... but clearly that's too much 'effort'.
because its common sense. if you ring a bell behind a pedestrian, it often startles them (to the point where you normally end up crashing into them because they run all over the place like a startled rabbit). Hence it would seem reasonable that if a rational human being is spooked by a bell, then so would a prey animal would be.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
because its common sense. if you ring a bell behind a pedestrian, it often startles them (to the point where you normally end up crashing into them because they run all over the place like a startled rabbit). Hence it would seem reasonable that if a rational human being is spooked by a bell, then so would a prey animal would be.

you're either joking, or clutching at straws.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
IMO, the bell is one of the best bits of kit I've purchased... more for peds on the shared use paths than for horses as i don't see many of those. Why people feel a bell is impersonal i really don't know... ding ding is just as friendly, if not more so, than shouting 'HELLO I'M A CYCLIST!" from 20 feet away.

barring the fact no sane person would be shouting anything so inane as this, I have a lovely Monty Python Mr Gumby mental image now. ^_^

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Seeing as it's all down to training, maybe the trainers should put some effort into getting their horses used to the sound of a bell?

why add unnecessary complication?

Given that bells are a comparative rarity, certainly when compared to possession of a working human voice, why not advise cyclists to use their voices as they are something that both a horse and its rider(?) do not need special training to 'get' and are both already immediately familiar with.

It is more effective to both alert the pair to our presence; albeit not by bellowing 'hello, I'm a cyclist' Gumby style from distance; but in a more common sense and helpful manner as described by numerous people on the thread of a greeting and commentary as to what our approach & passing action will be, to allow the rider to warn us to do something else or rein the horse accordingly, rather than them guess our intent from a unidirectional dingy noise and us hope that we're doing the right thing.

Joggers etc passing horses don't carry a bell, why run the risk of confusing the poor horse by giving different modes of humans overtaking it different modes of salutation to use.

OP
OP
y2blade

y2blade

I'd like to think My thread has been a success.
It has got people thinking/talking about Horses...rather than just slagging them off for being on "YOUR" road :hugs:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'd like to think My thread has been a success.
It has got people thinking/talking about Horses...rather than just slagging them off for being on "YOUR" road :hugs:

Really?
I have never heard a cyclist slag off horses/horse riders.

But I will... How about clearing up all the Horse crap in the roads. It's a menace.

Top Bottom