Make your bike more Horse Friendly....fit a bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

y2blade

I've added a "Ding-Ding" bell.

It's flipping brilliant for letting Horses and their riders know I'm approaching ...stops the "silent surprise" appearance that makes some horses jump when cycles pass.

I know this because we have Horses....... silent cycles coming past can really make some horses spook.

Chris

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't need or want a bell.
I have a voice that says 'Hello, cyclist coming by'

uclown2002

Guru
Fair enough, a lot around our way say nothing.

I was the same before I startled horse while passing wide very slowly.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If you are passing me on one of my horses, please don't ring your bell as I don't really want to die aboard 1/3 ton of ex racehorse. A nice cheery "Hello, I'm passing on a bike" or "hi, coming past" is a bit nicer.
I had a cyclist sneak past, no bell, no call out, nothing. He was a bit pissed off when my horse let fly with both barrels catching him in the shoulder. I was a bit pissed off after being carted over the road and scraped off under a branch and then having to walk 5 miles home sans horse as he careered off down the road without me.

Seriously people. Call out 'hello'. Don't ring a bell or honk a horn. Not all horses are a bombproof as riding school horses.

Ben M

If you are passing me on one of my horses, please don't ring your bell as I don't really want to die aboard 1/3 ton of ex racehorse. A nice cheery "Hello, I'm passing on a bike" or "hi, coming past" is a bit nicer.
I had a cyclist sneak past, no bell, no call out, nothing. He was a bit ****ed off when my horse let fly with both barrels catching him in the shoulder. I was a bit ****ed off after being carted over the road and scraped off under a branch and then having to walk 5 miles home sans horse as he careered off down the road without me.

Seriously people. Call out 'hello'. Don't ring a bell or honk a horn. Not all horses are a bombproof as riding school horses.

If it is likely to behave like that, have you considered that it might not be a good idea to ride that horse on the roads?

Top Bottom