Makes you think..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My last ride outdoors on Sunday was a pleasant route around the dales, with some exceptional climbing and consequently descending, hitting speeds of up to 70kph and rapid slowing due to errant cows and sheep etc etc. https://www.strava.com/activities/5423703209
The bike was sided and was in fine fettle. Tonight I have gone to move it only to find the inner tube as let go and completely obliterated the tyre. The tube was new approx 200 miles ago as was the tyre. It was not a pinch puncture, nothing in the tyre, nothing in the rim, purely let go. I can only think what would have happened had this happened whilst out, it makes me shudder.
IMG_20210611_001608.jpg
IMG_20210611_001643.jpg
IMG_20210611_001655.jpg
IMG_20210611_001702.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yikes - a very near miss! :eek:

I'm sure that it would have been the other round though - either the tyre fell apart from a manufacturing defect, or you had sliced it on something without noticing, and then the tube would have exploded out through the gap.

I've caught tubes doing that and watched in horror (having stopped) as they grew and grew, then ***BANG!!!***

Joffey

Big Dosser
My last ride outdoors on Sunday was a pleasant route around the dales, with some exceptional climbing and consequently descending, hitting speeds of up to 70kph and rapid slowing due to errant cows and sheep etc etc. https://www.strava.com/activities/5423703209
The bike was sided and was in fine fettle. Tonight I have gone to move it only to find the inner tube as let go and completely obliterated the tyre. The tube was new approx 200 miles ago as was the tyre. It was not a pinch puncture, nothing in the tyre, nothing in the rim, purely let go. I can only think what would have happened had this happened whilst out, it makes me shudder. View attachment 593261 View attachment 593262 View attachment 593263 View attachment 593264

Looks horrific but you can't live your life thinking 'what if' or you'd never go above 30 kph.

ColinJ

Did anyone hear anything?
It doesn't look like it would have gone quietly! :okay:

I had a tyre start to deform on a ride. I think it would have gone the same way later if I hadn't spotted it and scrapped it. I think I took a picture...

Here you go:

I had another one start to go. It looked to me like the carcass of the tyre under the rubber was ripping apart...

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
Yikes - a very near miss! :eek:

I'm sure that it would have been the other round though - either the tyre fell apart from a manufacturing defect, or you had sliced it on something without noticing, and then the tube would have exploded out through the gap.

I've caught tubes doing that and watched in horror (having stopped) as they grew and grew, then ***BANG!!!***
Yes after thinking about it overnight it will have been a tyre defect or the tube would have nowhere to expand to, the bike was left out for about 6 hours after it was last ridden and was fine when it was sided inside.

Sharky

Guru
As scary as it seems, a blow out at speed is not quite as bad as you may think. A couple of years ago, I was descending at speed (25mph+) and hit some debris in the road. My front tyre immediately blew. But I was quite surprised that it took one or two revolutions to lose all the air and that gave me time to bring the bike under control and to a stop. The tyre didn't come off the rim.

ColinJ

@oldfatfool and @ColinJ , brand brands of tyres and tubes are they?
I'm not sure what tyre the first of my pictures shows.

I'm fairly sure that the other tyre was a Michelin Lithion. I have used Lithions a lot and they are usually very good for a cheapish tyre. That one obviously wasn't right, but it hasn't put me off - I have a stock of Lithions to keep me going until I have a bit more cash and could start paying a bit more for my tyres.

Top Bottom