making a clear lens red

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Erm, red lens or glass paint?

midlife

Guru
[QUOTE 5006595, member: 9609"]what is the best way to make a lens that is currently clear spastic so as it can be used as a red tail light - I'm wanting to loose as little light as possible ?[/QUOTE]

I guess you mean plastic :smile:

sight-pin

Veteran
How about a quick very light spray with a can of red acrylic paint, I'd practice on a clear cellophane bag or paper.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tamiya Clear Red, X-27.
At least three coats required.

Seems to work better than clear red enamel.

[QUOTE 5006771, member: 9609"]75 lumens for £2.99 is hardly pound shop - but they don't come in red.

but the main reason it has a simple on/off switch and not some daft multifunction mode button - hence I will be able to wire it up to a switch on the bars so as I only use it when I hear someone coming.

i was thinking of picking up some tail lights (always plenty of these things in the verge near bends) and cutting it to shape, but it would be difficult to get a ggod water tight fit.

why acrylic ?

might try thee felt tip pen @vickster
failing that I have red rattle can, could try a dusting with that.[/QUOTE]
Acrylic paint may not affect the lens if it is plastic. An oil based enamel may also be okay. Cellulose could damage the plastic.

classic33

Leg End Member
Acrylic gives a better and more even coverage than enamel, based on what I've used.

Acrylic tends to be the choice for aerosols. £8·99 a can.

Or the red adhesive vinyl that you used to be able to get to cover darkroom light sources. I kept a bit for years, but I don't know if I still have any.

Perhaps I am completely wrong here, but if you spray a light lens with paint won't it just make the lens opaque, whatever colour paint you use?
It could do if you used a straight colour as opposed to a transparent colour. Some colours could be made up with white, ochre, black and red. Halfords do a lens repair tape. I've never used it but it's an idea.

Top Bottom