making a clear lens red

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
With the clear cote(Humbrol enamel) or Tamiya clear colour, you've the chance of also painting the bulb.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
......make your brown eyes blue...????

T4tomo

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5006771, member: 9609"]but the main reason it has a simple on/off switch and not some daft multifunction mode button - hence I will be able to wire it up to a switch on the bars so as I only use it when I hear someone coming.[/QUOTE]
You effing tight wad, are batteries that expensive?
What happens if it's a Toyota Prius running in battery mode and you don't hear it?

classic33

Leg End Member
Painted one of these, using Tamiya Clear Red
White 2 Red.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5006922, member: 9609"]If when you look at a colour "RED" does it just look red because it absorbs all other light that is not red, so Im guessing with a transparent colour it is only letting the red light through?
If that is the case then can it ever be brighter than a third* of the original white light ?

*(and that is assuming white light is just RYB, it may be the whole richard-of-york then it would just be a seventh)

I have found some very transparent red plastic polythene, but it takes away all the brightness - so it don't look like I have found what I am looking for just yet.[/QUOTE]
Even worse, many "cool white" LEDs emit more blues than reds, so it'll be much less bright through a red filter. Even "warm white" isn't going to be great. I'd replace the LED with a compatible red one, find another light or live with the reduced brightness.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5007025, member: 9609"]if its lighting up time hopefully they would see the 3 flashing reds that i already use and their lights should pick up on the reflective stuff that I wear.

I'm more thinking of that moment before dusk when you go under the shade of trees and then you hear someone coming, as its not properly dark it needs to be an intense light and an intense light would be energy hungry, too hungry to leave on for a 4 hour ride.

As for electric cars - not gaurenteed but hopefully someone switched on enough to be that enviromentally aware will also be switched on enough to drive safely. I'm more thinking of the fukwit in the Warroir type monster truck who is playing with his phone.[/QUOTE]
Go for the Red strobe light, darken with clear red, and you can power of a 7.2v R/C battery. Battery life is more than four hours constant.

davidphilips

Veteran
A friend tried painting a lens red and tbh it cut out a lot of light and still did not look red, in the end after much debate i talked him into buying a rechargeable exposure flare on sale at present for £32 postage included, great wee light not the cheapest or brightest (the new lezyne strips are 300 lumens) but ample light and money well spent and it lasts for more than 4 hours, good luck and will be interested to see if you can paint or make some glue on/ stick on filter to change to red.

Top Bottom