Making a floating bench seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Got a bit of wasted space at the end of our hallway where a coat stand sits as a tribute to the leaning tower of Pisa. I want to replace that with some wall hooks, maybe an overhead shelf, and a floating bench beneath to store shoes under & that the little one can sit on whilst we put his shoes on.

Having only ever fitted premade shelves before, I don't know what I'm doing as I'll need to get the timber cut to the right size, and assume I'll need something to support it.

The space itself has three stud walls that I can fix it to. I guess what I need to know is, what timber is best to use - it can be stained/painted white. How do I ensure it's good enough to hold weight to sit on? What type of fixings are best?

Can you fit floating bench brackets to stud walls ? I dont think they can support the cantilevered weight 300lbs seems to be max weight on narrow shelves. You can get heavy duty (granite?) brackets that screw to the side of the studs and poke through holes in the board but you have to fix before applying the plastetboard.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As Michael says... you need very strong fixings for floating shelves, and even stronger for a bench.

Why not just make something that sits on the floor?

edit.... three stud walls?? so it's going in an alcove?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I wouldn’t trust studs and floating kits to hold much weight. Draw something up in steel and get a local fabricator to weld it up. Powder coat or rattle can. industrial vibe. Wooden top in reclaimed oak. Bespoke. Floor standing.

OldShep

Über Member
. I have 96cm w and 37cm d to play with. There's likely something already on the market.
1.8m of 44x 44 £3:78
3 m of 45x120 £16
fixings
drill
saw
screwdriver
spirit level.
That’s what I would need for the job under £25
I do think that having had to ask I would recommend you buy something that fits in.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Dunelm - thanks PR! - that's the name I was trying to think of.
We've bought lots of things from there- really practical and good value.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Dunelm - thanks PR! - that's the name I was trying to think of.
We've bought lots of things from there- really practical and good value.

I've used them for bedding and towels.

Their ottoman selection was better than I was expecting, they are always good on the budget stuff but there was some 'proper furniture' there as well.

Something freestanding seems the best solution for the OP.

A floating bench into a stud wall screams 'no' to me.

Top Bottom