Making a living out of cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Run a bike hire facility. Hired a mountain bike in Betwys Y Coed this summer to do the Marin trail guy also did repairs and parts, but mostly hire.

lukesdad

Check out Clive Powell. He makes a fortune.

Norm

I expect you'd have to really milk-it in the summer to cover the cost of winter - and with schools off for a long period in the summer I wonder if there would be much call.
You could use the long summer break to your advantage, having a "cycling boot camp" operation to take the little darlings off their parents' hands. Many parents relish any opportunity to get them back behind bars during the summer break.

Many schools love hiring out their facilities during the summer, it's a good boost to their income.

Tricycle + large "A" board = advertising. Seen 2 businesses for sale recently on Ebay sub £5k, both with work on their books, how much of course, I don't know. If you can sell then I don't think it'd be too difficult to at least make a wage.

I know somebody who makes a living from cycles alone, he services and repairs from his shed along with re-furbishing and selling on Ebay. He lives "small" and is the happiest guy I know.

Check out Clive Powell. He makes a fortune.

How do you know he makes a fortune?

To run such a business you'd need a huge amount of money for set up and then pay the land owner a large rent/slice of profit.

I've been working in the cycle trade for ten years and I don't know anyone who has made a lot of money over a long period of time.

Old saying "How do you make a small fortune in the cycle trade? You begin with a large one"

mr Mag00

rising member
I expect you'd have to really milk-it in the summer to cover the cost of winter - and with schools off for a long period in the summer I wonder if there would be much call.
You could use the long summer break to your advantage, having a "cycling boot camp" operation to take the little darlings off their parents' hands. Many parents relish any opportunity to get them back behind bars during the summer break.

Many schools love hiring out their facilities during the summer, it's a good boost to their income.

not easy, tried this summer not a sngle taker, oops no, one actually from 5 schools canvassed. maybe next year :rolleyes:

I've been thinking of guided bike tours.....

...see the sights of Magnatom's crazy commute. See where the tanker nearly took him out, see where he fell off, and see the interchange from hell......Roll up, roll along.....

:whistle::biggrin:

MarkF

Guru
Tricycle + large "A" board = advertising. Seen 2 businesses for sale recently on Ebay sub £5k, both with work on their books, how much of course, I don't know. If you can sell then I don't think it'd be too difficult to at least make a wage.

Hilldodger, what do you want, a no risk, guaranteed to be successful, cycle orientated business proposition? We'd all like that. :biggrin:

TBH I think it's the ideal time for an unusual advertising approach, it's short term day/week contracts, appealing to businesses. I wouldn't think you'd have to be some go-getting, sh1t hot, salesman to make a wage. Y'know, if I was 28 and not 48 then I would give it a whirl.

Hilldodger, what do you want, a no risk, guaranteed to be successful, cycle orientated business proposition? We'd all like that. :biggrin:

TBH I think it's the ideal time for an unusual advertising approach, it's short term day/week contracts, appealing to businesses. I wouldn't think you'd have to be some go-getting, sh1t hot, salesman to make a wage. Y'know, if I was 28 and not 48 then I would give it a whirl.

Cyclemagic has been hiring out ad bikes for ten years and there's not a full time business in it.

MarkF

Guru

I am not certain it's a dead duck, there is a guy in Leeds who's only job is riding a Piaggio Ape around advertising, not much difference and not much faster.

Re:- The school cycling thing, our local school had 3 days in the summer hols, all fully booked. The kids brough a flyer home in their school bags with an endorsement from the school.

I am not certain it's a dead duck, there is a guy in Leeds who's only job is riding a Piaggio Ape around advertising, not much difference and not much faster.

Lots of people set these things up but I've not seen any that last very long. It might, as we do, bring some occasional additional income in to an established business.

Another one is rickshaws for weddings. We probably do one a year.

lukesdad

How do you know he makes a fortune?

To run such a business you'd need a huge amount of money for set up and then pay the land owner a large rent/slice of profit.

I've been working in the cycle trade for ten years and I don't know anyone who has made a lot of money over a long period of time.

Old saying "How do you make a small fortune in the cycle trade? You begin with a large one"

He makes his money out of events, not his bike shop. These attract major sponsors some have a1000 plus entries at £20-30 a time, He does n t pay a lot out in overheads
Start finnish areas are in local car parks or fields and courses are mainly on public rights of way. He organizes everything from TTs to XC marathons. Uses a lot of volunteers and staff from sponsors. He s been at it for over 10 years, and I have to say his events are probably the best around. Very slick indeed.

You work it out.

Top Bottom