Making a living out of cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He makes his money out of events, not his bike shop. These attract major sponsors some have a1000 plus entries at £20-30 a time, He does n t pay a lot out in overheads
Start finnish areas are in local car parks or fields and courses are mainly on public rights of way. He organizes everything from TTs to XC marathons. Uses a lot of volunteers and staff from sponsors. He s been at it for over 10 years, and I have to say his events are probably the best around. Very slick indeed.

You work it out.

But you still don't know he makes a fortune. He might have a large turnover but that doesn't mean he makes a lot of money.

I've been running Cyclemagic for ten years - including being involved in organising mayor events such as Sky Rides and parts of the Tour de France in London - and we are successful. We don't make a fortune and, as I have said previously, I don't know anyone in the cycle trade who does make a fortune. Which is what was claimed and I questioned.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bike Events, they definitely make money!

lukesdad

But you still don't know he makes a fortune. He might have a large turnover but that doesn't mean he makes a lot of money.

I've been running Cyclemagic for ten years - including being involved in organising mayor events such as Sky Rides and parts of the Tour de France in London - and we are successful. We don't make a fortune and, as I have said previously, I don't know anyone in the cycle trade who does make a fortune. Which is what was claimed and I questioned.

Have it your way then. Maybe you are not as slick with your bolt ons, for instance, Ive seen 200-300 using his pressure washer after an mtb marathon for £2 a time x6 a year over 12 years conservative £30,000. not bad eh ?

bikepete

Guru
£30,000. not bad eh ?

Less:
Maintenance/replacement of washer
Staff costs (presumably someone is taking the money/watching over the thing)
Banking costs (most banks charge to pay in cash)

Also less a share of:
- Petrol costs/vehicle costs/tax to get it to the events
- Venue costs
- Insurance
- Website/publicity overheads
- Office overheads phone/rent/etc
- Accountancy costs
- Storage costs between events (unless you have a mortgage-free barn, it costs money to store stuff...)

Just for starters....

(I have never heard of the bloke and can't be bothered googling him, and it's very possible he is doing very well. But I've also run a cycling business for 10 years+ and know you need to account for ALL costs as well as income before you get to the bottom line).

Have it your way then. Maybe you are not as slick with your bolt ons, for instance, Ive seen 200-300 using his pressure washer after an mtb marathon for £2 a time x6 a year over 12 years conservative £30,000. not bad eh ?

But do you know his overheads? You are just making the assumption that he's making a lot of profit but YOU don't know that.

lukesdad

Ive actually run a few bus. in my time with overheads most people couldn t imagine. Including one event bus.

Not all are run the same, he s a very shrewd operator and thinks outside the box. A statement like I can t be bothered shows you are not interested, fair enough, but others might be.

tyred

Legendary Member
Earning a fortune is never as easy as it looks. Otherwise, we'd all be millionaires.

Ive actually run a few bus. in my time with overheads most people couldn t imagine. Including one event bus.

Not all are run the same, he s a very shrewd operator and thinks outside the box. A statement like I can t be bothered shows you are not interested, fair enough, but others might be.

I run a successful self financing cycling charity delivering events, training, special needs bike recycling and more.

You stated that this guy makes a lot of money and I'd like to know how YOU know this as I and a lot of other people in the cycle trade would benefit from this wisdom.

lukesdad

I run a successful self financing cycling charity delivering events, training, special needs bike recycling and more.

You stated that this guy makes a lot of money and I'd like to know how YOU know this as I and a lot of other people in the cycle trade would benefit from this wisdom.

Simple. I ride a lot with my neighbour, and he s his best mate. Maybe there s a lesson here,dont turn a hobby or interest into a bus. YOU WONT MAKE ANY MONEY.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You could always start a cycling forum ... :whistle:

The only one I could think of that could possibly provide a "wage" as such was working as some kind of cycling training instructor.

I expect you'd have to really milk-it in the summer to cover the cost of winter - and with schools off for a long period in the summer I wonder if there would be much call.

Maybe if we had a larger cycling "scene" or it was much more a part of our culture, there would be more opportunities?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

In my experience there isn't a lot of money in cycling training. Maybe if cycling were to become part of the school curriculum it would be more viable, but at present only a few schools offer cycle training, which is sad as it really makes a difference to the kids.

Other options include cycle hire, I do know of someone who has been making a living out of this for a number of years, then there is cycle guiding either as short tours around the local sights, or as longer cycling holiday tours. It is possible to scrape a living, but don't expect to get rich...

Top Bottom