Making a trolley for a brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Bare with me.

I'm too scared to lock my Brompton up in case someone steals it.

This is ok if I'm taking it somewhere that I'm just going in, staying in one spot and then moving on, but if say, I'm at a local shopping mall and continuously on the move I find it a pain to heft it about and the wheely things don't really work for anything other than a short pull through the train station etc.

What I'd like is some kind of trolley, that can be carried on the luggage block, that will then carry the Brompton when I'm at my destination.

I was thinkin of some kind of luggage trolley with a telescopic handle, that could somehow be attached to a brompton luggage frame.

Anyone ever attempted such a thing?

My other thought was that I really like the look of the Burley Travoy, but is the base wide enough to fit a folded brompton on?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Just put Easy Wheels on it then wheel it with the saddle extended - job done!

Bill

Somewhere on the Internet I have seen a video of a feller who fitted a wheel on a tube that fitted into the seat stem of what I must presume to be a Dahon?? He gave instructions on how to make the tubing. Then again you could take up weight lifting so you could carry your cycle with ease....like me!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Somewhere on the Internet I have seen a video of a feller who fitted a wheel on a tube that fitted into the seat stem of what I must presume to be a Dahon?? He gave instructions on how to make the tubing. Then again you could take up weight lifting so you could carry your cycle with ease....like me!
Ha ha! I am a big wuss at carrying stuff. I think when I'm out for a leisurly stroll round town it would be better if I had it on a little trolley!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
It's fine for a few minutes round a supermarket, but it doesn't really roll free enough to use it as you would a granny trolley.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's fine for a few minutes round a supermarket, but it doesn't really roll free enough to use it as you would a granny trolley.
Fit Easy Wheels - then it does. I was amazed how uch difference they made.

Ganymede

Veteran
I've wheeled a double-bass around London on a cheap little pair of luggage wheels. Well-bungee'd on, you'd be surprised! I'm sure they would subsequently bungee on to the Brommie. Can you borrow a set to try out? I'd lend you mine if we were anywhere close?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Fit Easy Wheels - then it does. I was amazed how uch difference they made.

Well, the other part of this is that my OH's been refused entry twice with the bike and I've had a couple of occasions where I've had to be really persuasive to have it allowed into places.
I've taken to hiding it inside a bag and carrying it, but find it rather heavy to lug around, hence thinking of a trolley.

I've wheeled a double-bass around London on a cheap little pair of luggage wheels. Well-bungee'd on, you'd be surprised! I'm sure they would subsequently bungee on to the Brommie. Can you borrow a set to try out? I'd lend you mine if we were anywhere close?

Yes I looked at one of these, was wondering if I'd fit it on to a brompton carrier frame in some way?

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Go+T...:11919469796028745491|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|bku:1

Ganymede

Veteran
Well, the other part of this is that my OH's been refused entry twice with the bike and I've had a couple of occasions where I've had to be really persuasive to have it allowed into places.
I've taken to hiding it inside a bag and carrying it, but find it rather heavy to lug around, hence thinking of a trolley.

Yes I looked at one of these, was wondering if I'd fit it on to a brompton carrier frame in some way?

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Go Travel The Trolley/107736140,default,pd.html&$$ja=cgid:8743156555|tsid:44970|cid:176420515|lid:82073608435|nw:g|crid:41881061155|rnd:11919469796028745491|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|bku:1
The ones I used were more like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LIGHTWEIGHT...1411370022&sr=1-3&keywords=wheels+for+luggage (I've linked to Amazon for ease of illustration - I don't use Amazon but bought the wheels in a luggage shop at a station rather randomly in a situation of need). They come with their own bungees. There are several others on there for comparison.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I once tried using a suitcase trolley for a long move of the folded Brommy: the load kept flipping over! Easy wheels or a bag with shoulder straps are the answer!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I once tried using a suitcase trolley for a long move of the folded Brommy: the load kept flipping over! Easy wheels or a bag with shoulder straps are the answer!
I've got a bag with shoulder straps and I find it too heavy and cumbersome to carry for more than a minute or so. And as I said, I'd pefer a trolley that I can put a covered Brompton onto and move around.

Top Bottom