Making hot sauce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Ooh you did a fermented one! Fancy! :laugh:

That looks absolutely fantastic, awesome looking results too.

I did one half and half with habaneros last year. Quite lively!

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Madam Jeanette hot sauce. Fermented for 2/3 weeks and then Joshua Weissman recipe. The smaller bottle at the front is homemade vinegar

IMG_20220930_231933.jpg

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Keeping an eye on this thread as like my chilli sauces. I’ve not mastered making my own. I really want to mimic my local takeaways chilli sauce that they put on the kebabs?

Anyone have a go to kebab chilli sauce recipe ?

Well here we are, first go at a sauce finished. In the end I used about 15 scotch bonnet, 6 larger Hungarian hot wax that were spare, an onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1tbsp brown sugar, 1tsp salt, 250ml water, 1 tbsp tomato paste, and 2 tbsp cider vinegar. No spices as this was only a basic experiment to use up what was in the greenhouse.

In character it's turned out like a West Indian hot sauce, similar to Encona West Indian /scotch bonnet sauce but more depth with more garlic, and a bit sweeter. It's nice, very hot but not insane hot, if that makes sense.

Keep your recipes coming please. 😊

View attachment 662877

View attachment 662878

Here's mine:

On the bush:

View attachment 662852

Fermenting:

View attachment 662853

And in the bottles:

View attachment 662854

They keep for months in the fridge.

Last batch was done using this recipe, but it's hard to go too far wrong, yours will work fine I'm sure.

Fermenting for a week definitely improved it IMO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/sriracha-recipe/amp

Impressive, both look amazing. I got into Caribbean cuisine late and did not know that Scotch Bonnet Peppers is quite central to the cuisine both in marinade and sauce form. Early life was Ketchup, tomato and chilli sauce and I thought life ended there.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I've got a glut of Scotch Bonnet peppers at the end of growing season and I'm going to try making a hot sauce / dip, otherwise they'll just go in the bin as nobody seems to want them.
I was thinking I'd probably just cook the peppers down a bit with with some garlic and shallots, then blend them up with vinegar and a bit of sugar and salt. Not sure, I've not made a sauce before so it's an experiment.

Does anyone make their own similar sauce or dip, and if so do you have any tips or recipes you'd like to share?

CT, here is how I make mine… Throw about 1 pound of scotch bonnets in a vita-mix or other super blender, add 1 teaspoon of salt, and as much white or apple cider vinegar as it takes for them to blend. No need to simmer on the stove (that would kill everyone in the house) and no need for sugar. If you would like to sweeten it a little bit, add a small quantity of carrots if your blender can handle them. Bottle it up and enjoy. Used very sparingly. Best after it gets to meld for a day or so.

F77623E2-CB9B-4F26-8798-2A6EA065ABB1.jpeg

You can blend a couple of nice red bell peppers in with it also, it won’t make the slightest dent in the heat of your scotch bonnets. They also contain a lot of moisture and will help the peppers blend up nicely. Be sure to rinse your blender with cold water as hot water will bring up the fumes and attack you as you were inside out.

Top Bottom