Making hot sauce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got a glut of Scotch Bonnet peppers at the end of growing season and I'm going to try making a hot sauce / dip, otherwise they'll just go in the bin as nobody seems to want them.
I was thinking I'd probably just cook the peppers down a bit with with some garlic and shallots, then blend them up with vinegar and a bit of sugar and salt. Not sure, I've not made a sauce before so it's an experiment.

Does anyone make their own similar sauce or dip, and if so do you have any tips or recipes you'd like to share?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Your approach seems like a sound foundation, although I would make sure to simmer well after adding the sugar etc, to really get it all cooked down. I'd be looking at brown sugar and might think about adding something like (smoked) paprika, cumin, ground coriander and maybe something a bit fruity, but we're heading for chutney now rather than hot sauce.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your approach seems like a sound foundation, although I would make sure to simmer well after adding the sugar etc, to really get it all cooked down. I'd be looking at brown sugar and might think about adding something like (smoked) paprika, cumin, ground coriander and maybe something a bit fruity, but we're heading for chutney now rather than hot sauce.

agree, tomatoes and or tom puree can also be added, cider vinegar is good as the vinegar base, but you want some water in there too, approx 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar, otherwise if vinegar is only liquid it will be inedible no mater how much sugar is added. Oregano an option on the added spices too.

Jody

Stubborn git
agree, tomatoes and or tom puree can also be added, cider vinegar is good as the vinegar base, but you want some water in there too, approx 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar, otherwise if vinegar is only liquid it will be inedible no mater how much sugar is added. Oregano an option on the added spices too.

That's where I went wrong. Mine was just onion with a small amount of vinegar and sugar :whistle:

Calling @Reynard she is the Nigella if Cycle Chat.

Who doesn't make sauces cos she doesn't eat enough of them to make it worthwhile. I'm more of a chutney kind of girl. :blush:

I can have a poke around in my preserving books to see if I can come up with a recipe - on the caveat that I won't have tried it out myself. TBH, I'd either recommend drying or freezing.

Scotch bonnets are a bit much for me - I tend to tap out at Jalapeno / Chipotle level. :blush:

Made some Bonnet hot sauce which turned out to be almost puree. Blew my teeth out.

I prefer to dry them now and make powder.

In isn't always the problem. It's what happens the morning after. I do prefer to be able to sit following a visitation to the porcelain throne... :whistle:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've got a glut of Scotch Bonnet peppers at the end of growing season and I'm going to try making a hot sauce / dip, otherwise they'll just go in the bin as nobody seems to want them.
I was thinking I'd probably just cook the peppers down a bit with with some garlic and shallots, then blend them up with vinegar and a bit of sugar and salt. Not sure, I've not made a sauce before so it's an experiment.

Does anyone make their own similar sauce or dip, and if so do you have any tips or recipes you'd like to share?

Here's mine:

On the bush:

20220924_152917.jpg

Fermenting:

20220924_163841.jpg

And in the bottles:

20220905_183105.jpg

They keep for months in the fridge.

Last batch was done using this recipe, but it's hard to go too far wrong, yours will work fine I'm sure.

Fermenting for a week definitely improved it IMO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/sriracha-recipe/amp

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Here's mine:

On the bush:

View attachment 662852

Fermenting:

View attachment 662853

And in the bottles:

View attachment 662854

They keep for months in the fridge.

Last batch was done using this recipe, but it's hard to go too far wrong, yours will work fine I'm sure.

Fermenting for a week definitely improved it IMO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/sriracha-recipe/amp

Ooh you did a fermented one! Fancy! :laugh:

That looks absolutely fantastic, awesome looking results too.

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Well here we are, first go at a sauce finished. In the end I used about 15 scotch bonnet, 6 larger Hungarian hot wax that were spare, an onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1tbsp brown sugar, 1tsp salt, 250ml water, 1 tbsp tomato paste, and 2 tbsp cider vinegar. No spices as this was only a basic experiment to use up what was in the greenhouse.

In character it's turned out like a West Indian hot sauce, similar to Encona West Indian /scotch bonnet sauce but more depth with more garlic, and a bit sweeter. It's nice, very hot but not insane hot, if that makes sense.

Keep your recipes coming please. 😊

20220930_210359.jpg

20220930_210405.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom