making my own handlebars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi all,

are handle bars simply bent aluminium or are they treated (hardened / annealed)? i.e., can i make my own by just buying some tubing and using a pipe bender?

cheers

montage

God Almighty
I can't see an issue aslong as the tubing is the correct width and the material/thickness is strong enough

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Years ago I used to do motorcycle trials and one of the lads I knew, Henry Rosenthal, made some out of some aircraft quality aluminium tubing. He knocked them into shape and it wasn't long before other riders asked him to make them a pair. he now supplies handlebars all over the world for bikes, trial bikes, moto-x and speedway etc, they're called RENTHAL

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The difficult bit will be getting hold of suitable tubing in small quantities.
As well as being a suitably strong material, the outside diameter must be one of 25.4, 26.0 or 31.8mm. Otherwise you'll be looking at making your own stem as well.

I'm having a load of bars made for our replica bikes. The original ones were 1" so that's what I'm using but you'd need to use 22mm so that brake levers/grips etc would fit. You'd then need to make a shim up to fit the stem.

Hilldodger said:
I'm having a load of bars made for our replica bikes. The original ones were 1" so that's what I'm using but you'd need to use 22mm so that brake levers/grips etc would fit. You'd then need to make a shim up to fit the stem.

Shirley you mean sleeve. :tongue:

jimboalee

The difficult bit is getting them TOTALLY symetrical.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Steve Austin said:
I challenge to make any bars better than the cheapest Easton bar in the style you need.

not want ing to better anything just need something i can not buy. well, i have seen some 'modulo' bars but they seem expensive for what they are and may bugger up the fold on my brompton.

need something like drop bar ends but also some up right bits like normal bar ends...i know what i mean.

Top Bottom