Making some changes to a Brompton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
T-Bag and Easy Wheels: you'll never miss a rack.
My B won't roll along even with easy wheels, the spokes of rhe feont wheel catch the end of the chain on the cable for the hub.
The rack even though it adds weight seems the best bet for pushing around. Ar about the same price as the X roller it seems the way to go.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You lot are making it bloody difficult to make my mind up. I may not need the carrying capacity of the rack but it makes it easier to roll the bike folded...
A chap of your stature should have no problem developing the arm muscles to carry the thing. I've had easy-wheels for a few years, and after the novelty wore off I went back to portage. Carrying a bag in one hand and a Brompton in the other is nicely balanced, I find.

We retrofitted one. It's not difficult but is relatively expensive compared to buying pre-fitted (see other comments about needing new mudguard, in addition to the rack itself); although of course for you it's a second hand bike so that's not even an option.
New B's come with better little wheels than the originals did, your new rack may as well, otherwise the EZ wheels upgrade is recommended.
We did use the rack bags (and indeed still have them) for shopping etc as overflow (yes, we had the T bag and folding baskets as well!); but we now have a Workcycles for proper cargo carrying so they haven't been used a lot (still useful for holidays IME). However, for wheeling when folded / folded stability the rack is very useful.

jokey

Regular
HAs someone got an example of how you're supposed to wheel a Brompton (without a rack).

I can only summise I've been doing wrong because it's a PITA.

I had assumed it was just me doing it wrong, because I can't work out how the hell you do it either. Nearly caused a punch up in a Sainsbury's Local.

Apart from that loving the Brommie^_^

Last edited:
Without the rack I wheel it on the two wheels mounted to the frame. Not as easy as with rack though :smile: And much better with EZ wheels if you have an older B!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have nerve damage in both arms and reduced strength in my right arm after being being run over. I could carry it for a short period but would probably want to wheel it round a supermarket (for example), if I were using the T bag for supplies.
Fair enough - that's information I didn't know, and is good enough reason for wanting to wheel rather than carry.

robgul

Legendary Member
I'm a relatively recent Brompton owner (mine's a 2003 3 x 2 = 6 speed) - my 2p.

1 Fit/get fitted a rack with the Easy Wheels (i.e. 4 and change the mounting so that all 4 are on the OUTSIDE of the rack frame (the book says one of the rear ones is inside the frame, to reduce width a gnat's) - when folded the rack and its wheels make it much more stable and easy to push along (Leave the handlebar stem in ride position and it acts as a handle to push/pull the machine)

2 Use the big bag on the front - I thought it would make the bike unstable to ride - it doesn't and lifts off in an instant. [I also have a Brompton approved rack bag but have only used it once as it's a PITA to remove when folding]

3 I have small under-saddle back for a tube, patches, and a couple of tools - although I dread having to replace a tube away from my workshop. The bag works OK when the seatpost is dropped in the folded mode.

This is the machine :
Brompton.jpg

I also have the extending seatpost and heavy duty suspension block with the (newish) clip that stops the machine flopping in half at the rear-triangle hinge if you pick it up. Subject to where I'm going I also have a heavy-duty ABUS folding lock that straps to the "top tube" just behind the hinge.

Rob

doginabag

I find rolling the brompton a massive pain in the arse. Tried it a few time but just carry it now.

Mine is a 2016 so already has the larger roller wheels, but no rear rack. It will just about roll on a perfectly flat surface, any bumps or falls are out of the question.

Even then, the folded front wheel touches the ground and rotates, however when folded the spokes clash with the chain exiting the hub gear which makes an annoying clicking noise. Not sure if there could be any long term damage from this but I avoid it anyway.

I've not had time to get it up on a table for a proper look, but a larger diameter wheel on the mudguard I would think sufficient to raise it enought that the folded front wheel doesn't touch ground.

The second issue I have is maneuverability. As the annoying Dyson advert taught us, four fixed wheels make turning difficult. When you are using the seat post extended to push it around and then try and tilt or rock it back to turn a corner, I often find that the front when comes off it's latch and the frame hinge then unfolds.

reppans

1 ... change the mounting so that all 4 are on the OUTSIDE of the rack frame (the book says one of the rear ones is inside the frame, to reduce width a gnat's)..

3 I have small under-saddle back for a tube, patches, and a couple of tools - although I dread having to replace a tube away from my workshop. The bag works OK when the seatpost is dropped in the folded mode.

FWIW, I tried that one wheel (rear left) on the outside of the rack, but quickly swapped it back inside. The weight of the folded front-end on right side actually levers that wheel in the air on mine (it's almost useless) and the wheel/bolt become more exposed to damage when you lay the folded bike down on its left side. The X-Roller mod makes a big difference in wheeling stability, particularly with a fully loaded T-bag in baby-stroller/shopping cart mode.

Although pricey, the Brompton toolkit is a nice option disappearing into the frame and I store my spare inner tube, and a few other items, inside the other section of frame tube. I've even packed my seat tube with emergency gear, but I don't have the extended seat tube option (which might interfere).

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
FWIW, I tried that one wheel (rear left) on the outside of the rack, but quickly swapped it back inside. The weight of the folded front-end on right side actually levers that wheel in the air on mine (it's almost useless) and the wheel/bolt become more exposed to damage when you lay the folded bike down on its left side. The X-Roller mod makes a big difference in wheeling stability, particularly with a fully loaded T-bag in baby-stroller/shopping cart mode.

Although pricey, the Brompton toolkit is a nice option disappearing into the frame and I store my spare inner tube, and a few other items, inside the other section of frame tube. I've even packed my seat tube with emergency gear, but I don't have the extended seat tube option (which might interfere).
From an L to Rack + X-roller is best part of £160 though!

robgul

Legendary Member

WARNING: The Brompton tool kit is brilliant BUT only fits the later "long-wheelbase" models with the longer tube behind the head tube.

Rob

Top Bottom