Making some changes to a Brompton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nice one, assuming 2nd hand or ex demo? if new and to spec then I'd let the factory or seller fit it.

It is supposed to be something of a PITA of a job and requires a new rear mudguard too.

As a stand when folded = another matter but I was never convinced of any great benefit as a luggage answer compared to the front luggage block and appropriate bag - Brommy expensive or home fettled, which also assists handling and damps that wee bit of skittishness out of the steering at higher speed.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My experience with a Brompton is that almost everything went in the huge front bag. If anything overhangs sideways on the rack it's likely to catch your heels.

jay clock

Massive member
I can strongly recommend a front bag as a great way to carry stuff. The downside of a rear rack is that luggage need removing to fold the bike, and that is much slower than taking the front bag off

reppans

I love my rack, but it's primarily for rolling while folding in shopping cart / baby stroller mode, and I have the X-Roller mod for stability - it's allowed to me to stroll my bike through museums/zoos/malls, etc, including carrying my full touring gear in the T-Bag.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The suspension block is dead easy.

I think once you've used the T bag a couple of times the notion of a rack will leave you completely :smile:

I like the latest saddle version a lot too, much nicer than the older style, not just as a carry handle but I rate it as a saddle for sitting on for distances too. If you've not got a particular favourite one in the shed you will put on, then I would commend that as an upgrade consideration too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'll be fitting a rack in the near future to mine, just for ease of mobility. X-roller possibly too.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've ridden Bromptons with racks for 20 years. I have never carried anything on one.

If I ever get my 8-speed sorted I'll leave the rack on it so that it can be used for touring. I'm contemplating a new commuting bike without a rack.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not quite true - I vividly remember the occasion you used it to take a large bowl of salad round as a contribution to a barbecue, pulled up in front of our hosts' house and proceeded, on autopilot, to fold the bike. With the bowl of salad still attached to the rack...
OK. Once in twenty years.

Top Bottom