Making The Most Of What I've Got

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The big plan of an n+1 has had to go on hold for the foreseeable future, so looking to improve what I have. My n+1 was going to be a Specialized Roubaix, simply for the comfort. I find my current ride a bit too harsh, partly due to the position, partly due to the harsh ride. Current ride is a Trek 1.2 2013. I have no desire to upgrade the geartrain, since the Sora stuff works well if you look after it. I am looking to improve the ride, so currently thinking..

1. Flip the stem. Zero cost, should improve the ride position.
2. Replace the Gatorskin 23c tyres with GP4000 II's in 25c. Should improve ride quality, and being a bit lighter improve the hills. £68 for a pair.
3. Change seatpost to a carbon Specialized Cobl-Gobl-R. Apparently makes the ride much smoother. A pricey addition at £135, but can be transferred to new bike in the future.
4. Wheel upgrade. Currently still using the stock Bontrager hubs/rims. Thinking of a set of Fulcrum Quattro's, lighter so should be an improvement. Pricey again at £180, but a transferable investment again.
5. Re-wrap the bars with Specialized Roubaix or Phat tape to help with the road vibes. £15.

All the above, £400, vs New ride at £1400.

Have I missed anything, or am I going in the wrong direction?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The CG-R seatpost is good, specially if you combine it with a saddle with carbon rails too.

Heres my armchair...
2zippscropped_zps8bac2dd8.jpg

Also, don't assume that light wheel means more comfy, if that's what you are after.

I find the R501s to be very comfy, but Im 100kg. Lighter Mavic Ksriums seem a lot less forgiving for the same typre and pressures. Dura-Ace c24 were really good comfort wise too (also VERY light)

I have 30 mm cyclocross tyres on my spare bike (Carrera TDF) the extra drag slows me down a little but still averaged 14.3 over 84 miles yesterday. They give a much softer ride on the awful local road surfaces and I can also venture off road a bit.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Probably as much as dropping your tyre pressures by a pound or two.

Just out of interest, which carbon seatpost have you tried? And were they designed for comfort, such as the CG-R, Pave, the Canyon CF3?

Ladep Rewop

I have 30 mm cyclocross tyres on my spare bike (Carrera TDF) the extra drag slows me down a little but still averaged 14.3 over 84 miles yesterday. They give a much softer ride on the awful local road surfaces and I can also venture off road a bit.

Agreed, recently worn out my 23's and decided this time to replace with 28's, makes a palpable difference over bad road surfaces, much more comfortable ride.

U

User6179

If you want more comfortable ride aero wheels like the quattros are not the way to go , something non aero with a wider rim would be better .

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
The big plan of an n+1 has had to go on hold for the foreseeable future, so looking to improve what I have. My n+1 was going to be a Specialized Roubaix, simply for the comfort. I find my current ride a bit too harsh, partly due to the position, partly due to the harsh ride. Current ride is a Trek 1.2 2013. I have no desire to upgrade the geartrain, since the Sora stuff works well if you look after it. I am looking to improve the ride, so currently thinking..

1. Flip the stem. Zero cost, should improve the ride position.
2. Replace the Gatorskin 23c tyres with GP4000 II's in 25c. Should improve ride quality, and being a bit lighter improve the hills. £68 for a pair.
3. Change seatpost to a carbon Specialized Cobl-Gobl-R. Apparently makes the ride much smoother. A pricey addition at £135, but can be transferred to new bike in the future.
4. Wheel upgrade. Currently still using the stock Bontrager hubs/rims. Thinking of a set of Fulcrum Quattro's, lighter so should be an improvement. Pricey again at £180, but a transferable investment again.
5. Re-wrap the bars with Specialized Roubaix or Phat tape to help with the road vibes. £15.

All the above, £400, vs New ride at £1400.

Have I missed anything, or am I going in the wrong direction?

Gp 4000's are a winner in this respect, especially in 25mm. In fact, the continental rep for this area told my lbs owner that they are made more like 27-28mm.
They are about a million times more comfortable than gators in 23, which felt like I had wrapped my wheels in solid oak.

paddy01

My Trek 1.2 of a couple of years earlier vintage was a pretty harsh ride on anything other than butter smooth roads.

Stuck on a pair of Aksiums and totally transformed along with some 25mm tyres. Best decision ever and is now my do everything bike from commuting with panniers to towing the sprog in the trailer.

Top Bottom