Mallorca training camps, or any other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, I guess this subject has come up a lot, probably every year when it starts to get cold. Just wondering if anyone has done any of the official training camps on offer such as Viva Velo or StuartHallCycling.

Have you done one of these?
Have you done a different one you'd recommend?

I have been out to Lanzagrotty on my own with my bike and did a bit of training. Not organised so was not "forced" to go out each day, although I did hire a trainer for a couple of days. (Can't say I enjoyed the riding out there due to the high winds I had, apparently just an unlucky week). Easter just gone I went down to Aix for 4 or 5 days and got in 3 or 4 good rides on my own. I guess the second part of my question would be, is it easier just to go somewhere and do it yourself? It would be cheaper, but would I go out. Hmmm, (thinking out loud, and I guess the answer would be no lol). So, recommendations on training camps then in 2017. Thanks

S-Express

Even on a training camp nobody can force you to go out. If you know where you are going in Majorca, then it can be cheaper to book privately - but whether you ride or not is only ever dependent on you.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Even on a training camp nobody can force you to go out. If you know where you are going in Majorca, then it can be cheaper to book privately - but whether you ride or not is only ever dependent on you.

Well yes i know that, that's why I put it in inverted commas. I would feel more motivated if there was a set ride every day.

User269

I've been on the Stephen Roche camp 17 times over the past 11 years. It's a very professional set up, with full vehicle backup, 6 day a week rides in designated groups according to your fitness, stunning scenery and delightful routes. They do a full package if required, including bike hire (good, well maintained bikes), guided rides with at least 2 ride captains, and hotel. It's also based in the SW of the island, where the terrain is imho much more interesting than the NE. I expect I'll be out there again next March or thereabouts.
One year I also added a week at a camp based near Puerto Pollensa; run by a UK 'company', it only runs for a couple of weeks each year, and was a very amateur, badly run affair, with poor group leaders, no backup etc., and I spent the last couple of days doing my own thing, which is what I should have done in the first place.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I've been on the Stephen Roche camp 17 times over the past 11 years. It's a very professional set up, with full vehicle backup, 6 day a week rides in designated groups according to your fitness, stunning scenery and delightful routes. They do a full package if required, including bike hire (good, well maintained bikes), guided rides with at least 2 ride captains, and hotel. It's also based in the SW of the island, where the terrain is imho much more interesting than the NE. I expect I'll be out there again next March or thereabouts.
One year I also added a week at a camp based near Puerto Pollensa; run by a UK 'company', it only runs for a couple of weeks each year, and was a very amateur, badly run affair, with poor group leaders, no backup etc., and I spent the last couple of days doing my own thing, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Wow thanks very much. The kind of info I am looking for. I will check out the site later. Are you getting paid or on a discount for signing up people? lol Yes the north part of the island seems to be the mountain parts. I have thought about doing the Island sportive, is it 350km or something?

User269

Wow thanks very much. The kind of info I am looking for. I will check out the site later. Are you getting paid or on a discount for signing up people? lol Yes the north part of the island seems to be the mountain parts. I have thought about doing the Island sportive, is it 350km or something?

The SW is also mountainous, some of my favourite climbs, Galilea, Puigpunyent, Soller and Valdemosa. While in the N you're close to Sa Colobra, the surrounding areas are rather flat and boring to me.
The island sportive is 312, and guess what, Roche do an orgnised trip if you want to take part!

huwsparky

Über Member
I was thinking of maybe doing something around march time and was thinking Majorca.

How much roughly dies it cost you guys to do this?

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was thinking of maybe doing something around march time and was thinking Majorca.

Cheers.
The link to the 312 sportive says from around eur1000 so around a grand in these peri-Brexit times

User269

Cheers.

Going on the Stephen Roche camp, hotel (sole occupancy room usually), bike hire, group rides, flight, airport parking, airport transfer, between £750 & £1000. It's half board, so there isn't a great deal of additional expenditure.

Cheers.

I have been going to Majorca for the last 3 years, and I am booked for April/May 2017 for the Majorca 312 total cost is £912 for 2.
Includes Flights, Half Board, transfers 1 Bike Box. Much cheaper to do it yourself rather than one of the cycle tours.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I fly to Palma and then ride up to Port pollenca and get a hotel or Airbnb.

You then have the choice of flat, mountains or swimming. The ride to Cap Du Formentor is a good ride. As is the ride to Sa Collabra. That is something special.

Do it yourself. Its great. Mallorca is great if you want to use the trains with your bike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

I must say @steveindenmark your way of doing it sounds appealing with the place being relatively accessible by bike.

Can a bike be hired at the airport?

Look at this link. It may help

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/majorca-palma-airport.209693/#post-4541938

You can take a bus to Can Pastilla from the airport. It takes about 10 minutes and he bike shop s right on the sea front which is the cycle path to get to Palma. The cycle path is wonderful.

The trains are great and very cheap. There is no lifting of bikes. Its lifts and trains which are level with the platform, all the way. The train goes to Sa Pobla which is about 20km from Pollenca.

Top Bottom