Man v Rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikey32shaw

Regular
Well have been cycling all summer and got to say found it very addictive and enjoyable. Whilst the weather this year has been great I haven't yet been out in the wet on my bike. So today was the day I thought I'd give it a go to see if I'm a fair weather rider. Well managed just short of 30 mile soaked to the bone but the funny thing is I still loved it. So bring on the winter I say :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I find I usually ride faster in the rain than the dry ... which is weird .... but apparently not unusual.
The trick during the winter is staying warm whilst wet.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I don't like riding in the rain.
I find it uncomfortable (and I melt easily^_^)
That's not to say I don't go out at all. I just don't like it.
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Mikey, nice one.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mikey32shaw

Mikey32shaw

Regular
Yes after the trip out today I can certainly see another dip in to the wallet for some more items. The wife will go ballistic I've spent more on this cycling than I did on my golf gear

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yes after the trip out today I can certainly see another dip in to the wallet for some more items. The wife will go ballistic I've spent more on this cycling than I did on my golf gear
ino how that feels lol

Chris1983

I had my first experience of 23c slicks and wet roads today...and wet tram tracks...the bike was a bit lively to say the least :eek:

Time for some all weather tyres I reckon ;)

nappadang

Über Member
My first day of really miserable weather since getting back in the saddle and I loved it too. In fact I'm off out again when the littleun goes to bed. I used my light weight Mountain Hardware jacket combined with shorts, worked a treat from the waist up.

mattsr

I had my first ride in the rain today for what feels like ages. And I enjoyed it, as I usually do! It's always worse thinking about it,sitting at home watching the rain, than actually being out in it it. And it gave my new Endura waterproofs their first outing, from which they acquitted themselves admirably!

nappadang

Über Member
Back after a swift 50 min soaking, loved it! I enjoy getting onto the fells in bad weather too, it adds another dimension to the challenge.
Anyway, I've learned a lot on my two rides today. Firstly, I need mud guards. Secondly, I need a good set of cycling waterproofs (In fairness, my old mountain jacket kept me bone dry) . Thirdly, I need a second pair of shoes. Fourthly, my "Max Wall" (Mrs Dang's term for my tights) trousers from Lidl are brilliant for £10. kept me warm when wet, windproof and a pretty comfy padding.
All in all a bloody good day, though I'd have cycled further (and burnt more calories) had the weather been better

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'm normally something of a fair weather rider, but if I've planned a ride/event on a specific day, then I just have to man up and get on with it. As long as I can keep warm, it's fine.

Last edited:

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Reading this makes me jealous, I haven't got out all week due to lack of time, but the weathers actually been ok, no rain today but was forecast to be awful. On a residential course next week so taking the bike with me in the car, hopefully ill find some evening routes I can get out on near ashorne management college! Think ill get some mudguards also for the winter, seem to remember drinking more road water than rain earlier this year!

boybiker

Guru
I dont mind getting wet as long as I'm warm and not too warm that I'm sweating buckets. I had a gore 2.0 jacket which was about £100 but worth every penny. It kept me nice and warm in the winter when it was snowing! :thumbsup:

2 things that are a must for wet and cold riding: Winter water proof gloves and overshoes. Cold feet and hands can put a dampener on any ride.

I do like to get out in all conditions but must confess to spending some time on the turbo too.

Top Bottom