management lurking..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevede

The company I work for is a division of a FTSE 100 company. We have just rolled out a new IT policy which every staff member had to sign as being read and understood. As a member of the senior management, I have had to present this to my two sites.

Interestingly, they now allow access to social media sites & forums such as CC (previously blocked) as they understand the the changes in the IT world. (access is only permitted during break times)

They do however warn about comments which could portray the company in a negative light, giving specific details or commenting on matters considered confidential. In addition reminding that comments posted today being difficult if not impossible to delete and may come back to bite in the future. All in all pretty common sense stuff as far as I can see.

I too have a tracker in my car, a scheme implemented in all vehicles to reduce fuel and insurance costs. It doesn't cause me an issue as I have nothing to hide.

I think that given the hold that IT has in the workplace and the ease of access for all, these policies will become the standard within employment contracts.

If you're not posting specifics or being openly negative about your employer then I can't see you having any issue.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The folk I know in that game are cool with the surveillance as they feel it covers them if a client makes an allegation that things have leaded/gone astray/ended up in the wrong people's hands.

We have all of that apart from the microphones on pdas and not in anything so glamorous, at some warehouses there are stories of tracking systems for people for other companies. If we did have microphones on pdas I would be very impressed yet also horrified the money could not be spent on money to make productivity much higher.

The issue over allegations and things going wrong is an interesting one. I guess it would come down to whether you trusted the person doing the investigation. As it happens there was a case not that long ago with surveillance where an employee said this is what happened, the employer said you do realise we can check on that, employee said fine, I was probably here, here and here then, then and then. Then the employer said yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, no, but we only checked one camera and you weren't there and it would takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to check the ones you're talking about. On the other hand there are plenty of other times where the employer just takes the employees word for it which probably includes most of the time where that is what happened and a few not.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We have all of that apart from the microphones on pdas and not in anything so glamorous, at some warehouses there are stories of tracking systems for people for other companies. If we did have microphones on pdas I would be very impressed yet also horrified the money could not be spent on money to make productivity much higher.

The issue over allegations and things going wrong is an interesting one. I guess it would come down to whether you trusted the person doing the investigation. As it happens there was a case not that long ago with surveillance where an employee said this is what happened, the employer said you do realise we can check on that, employee said fine, I was probably here, here and here then, then and then. Then the employer said yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, no, but we only checked one camera and you weren't there and it would takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to check the ones you're talking about. On the other hand there are plenty of other times where the employer just takes the employees word for it which probably includes most of the time where that is what happened and a few not.
That's interesting. The tracking systems I've seen, i.e. the databases that store the tracking data on mobile employees and the apps you access that dta on, would take almost no time at all to retrieve the historic tracking data and included movement pattern analysis tools to highlight anything unexpected that occurs say if a vehicle deviates from its expected route in some way.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/11/facebook_privacy_deletion/
Facebook is binning a feature that lets people retain their anonymity on the social network.

Facebook privacy policy an what they have the rights to do with your data should be enough to stop you from using the service, If your using it you have to simply be aware that your data is basically public, there are a number of methods to get around Facebook privacy controls which have not yet been relaxed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Farcebook, Twatter, it's all vapid nonsense. This morning R4 interviewed the founder of another mass time-wasting application, Buzzfeed. Several times they asked him if it contained any real news and he replied that real news was there for people to find if they wanted it. I had a look on arrival at work and.... it's more bullocks.

Last year R4 interviewed a bloke who was predicting how personal data might be used and abused in the future. His closing words were directed at anybody thinking of putting personal data on a social media site. His advice? "Don't. Just Don't."

Noodley

I asked Shaun nicely and explained my reasons wanting to do so.
And then included your former name underneath...let's hope Columbo is not on the case eh?

Linford

Time to have a cull of your FB list. I've not got anyone from work on mine, and I'd certainly not let anyone else use my account to stitch anyone else up.

I've just had a cryptic 'heads up' that managment maybe lurking on our facebook pages. Presumably to see if we've said anything derogatory about work.

This on top of trackers on all vehicles, all calls in/out of office are recorded and the camera and microphones on our pda's can be acvitated remotely.

Given to believe that FB has been checked, at work, to see if people are 'out & about' when they've phoned in sick

Our communications radios had a similar feature, & it has been used! (allegedly)
A bit of 'net digging by someone revealed that the function was an optional extra, requested by customer, that had to be activated by the systems installer!!

Top Bottom