Management Speak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Because in some cases some managers want everything to change and want it NOW which puts some people under a lot of pressure..more than is reasonable.
We had one, came in with a new broom, wanted loads of stuff changing, some we found ourselves doing twice because he couldn't make up his mind, some we'd only just done for the former manager...and were now doing it again...some stuff we advised him wouldn't work, he demanded we do it anyway, to find out within a week or so it didn't work so we had it all to do again.
Managers like that do your head in. He was very clever in some aspects but just needed to slow down a bit and consider things more...and also consider your already busy workload..and in some cases consider their manner. He was unusual, you don't often meet such overbearing characters.

Not quite answering the question. Why do you not have the job yourself?

gbb

Legendary Member
Not quite answering the question. Why do you not have the job yourself?
Couldn't do it, wouldn't want it, my character is head down, get on with my work to the very best of my ability.
Managers work in areas I dont but where their influence crosses into my area....an area I've worked in for say 10 years and have some expertise and can offer a helpfully opinion...and it's rebutted, it won't earn him any friends.
One occasion he demanded we move a pallet stacking point which involved some engineering work. One of the newest guys, with only 6 months experience tried to tell him it wouldn't work....a week later we had to reinstate his folly to it's original and working state.
There's a whole catalogue of his follies but when he did leave a lot of staff came to the conclusion....he presented a good front but what did he actually achieve for all his bluster ? Nothing. It ran just as well as it did before and would have anyway without all the white noise that came from him.

He's just one case, thankfully rare but in 45 working years I've met a handful of them.
The flip side is when I was asked to do something a couple weeks ago. I objected (professionally) for good reasons. But the counter reasoning that followed from the management convinced me it was the right decision...and I carried out their wishes...no problem, thats my job.

Also you have to remember I've been in my industry 40 years, in this specific one 18 years. You've seen them come...and go. You have an intricate knowledge of how some things need to work at the shop floor level, you've already seen attempts to change things in the past...and they didn't work then. It's not a reject everything that's put to you mentality...its not hard to recognise folly.

No, I couldn't do their job. I was offered the engineering managers job at my former site. I declined, I'm not the driven kind of person you need to be to do it, I don't have some of the skillset you need to do it...i don't want it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Seems like most of you could do a better job than the people above you, how come you are not doing those jobs and taking the benefits? Honest question.
Can't speak for everyone, but from my own perspective there are several reasons why I've never been ambitious when it comes to climbing the ladder in any job I've done.

I'm not particularly motivated by money, just as long as I've got enough to pay the bills, feed myself, and take the occasional holiday. I've managed that quite well over the years.
I don't want to relocate.
I don't want the responsibility.
I enjoy the camaraderie amongst those at the bottom of the ladder, which disappears the higher up you go.

To sum up, I don't feel that the one advantage (money) compensates for the many downsides. And no, this isn't a case of that green eyed monster of which you regularly speak!

All that doesn't mean that I can't recognise an incompetent waste of space manager/supervisor when I see one.

Venod

Eh up
Can't speak for everyone, but from my own perspective there are several reasons why I've never been ambitious when it comes to climbing the ladder in any job I've done.

I'm not particularly motivated by money, just as long as I've got enough to pay the bills, feed myself, and take the occasional holiday. I've managed that quite well over the years.
I enjoy the camaraderie amongst those at the bottom of the ladder, which disappears the higher up you go.

To sum up, I don't feel that ts he one advantage (money) compensates for the many downsides. And no, this isn't a case of that green eyed monster of which you regularly speak!

All that doesn't mean that I can't recognise an incompetent waste of space manager/supervisor when I see one.

Are you me, that was my attitude and thinking throughout my working life it used to drive the management mad, they assume everybody has their attitude to work, and they don't like being proved wrong by people they regard as underlings, the camaraderie disappears because they would stab one another in the back for promotion and a few extra bob.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are you me, that was my attitude and thinking throughout my working life it used to drive the management mad, they assume everybody has their attitude to work, and they don't like being proved wrong by people they regard as underlings, the camaraderie disappears because they would stab one another in the back for promotion and a few extra bob.
I'm basing my views mainly on my time in a public service job. You wouldn't believe the brown-nosing and back stabbing that went on; as you say just for a few extra £££ in the pocket. There must be an awful lot of them who end up disillusioned because they don't get as high up the ladder as THEY think they should. Couple that with the fact that my first supervisors back in the early 80's didn't exactly inspire or motivate me to try and join them :rolleyes:.

gbb

Legendary Member

To sum up, I don't feel that the one advantage (money) compensates for the many downsides. And no, this isn't a case of that green eyed monster of which you regularly speak!

I'm sure an ambitious manager knows he's doing the right thing for himself...and knows the cost. In a convo with the 'folly' operations manager we got to talking about home. I said I own my own former development corparation house, my mortgage is pitifully low( £200 monthly), as a consequence I earn enough to feel well off and while I recognise my surrounding area is less than perfect...im happy with my lot.

When I mentioned the cost his eyebrows nearly flipped....' i wish' he laughed :whistle:

Then we don't see the pressure they work under and it deserves recognition tbf. He went off with stress twice in his two years with us.
No, not for me.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some years ago I was a "divisional manager" in a company that was part on a larger group. On an export trip with the MD he told me he was moving to the board of the parent company and wanted me to take over as MD. I didn't even think about it......I just declined it, telling him my family and private life was too important and that I could not give it the hours it required.
I recall him being gobsmacked and that being the kiss of death for me and that compay.

screenman

Legendary Member
Some of us don't want to be managers,bosses whatever
We want to go to work, do the job , get paid and go home.

I get that, but maybe try the job before disliking it or knocking the people doing their best.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am like many not make tivatef by money, I am however and always have been motivated to give my wife and kids a better life than I had.

Reactions: gbb

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seems like most of you could do a better job than the people above you, how come you are not doing those jobs and taking the benefits? Honest question.

In my case:

1. I don’t have an MBA, which is now critical to be a Director in my company.
2. I don’t be want to play politics all day and backstab others whilst watching my own back, which has always been critical to be a Director.
3. I cannot relocate.
4. I have naturally found the level where I get paid enough for a great life and still have plenty of quality time with my family. I see how time poor friends of mine are and rejoice that whilst I no longer have a Porsche, I am extremely contented.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I suspect most of the railing against managers here should be considered railing against POOR managers, not all managers of course. I've met and worked for many managers I admire, respect and love working for. They can be an inspiration.
Well said sir! I've only once tried being a manager and I was crap at it, but I have great admiration for those who do it well. It's very demanding, and I think managers often cop a lot of undeserved resentment. And as you say, good ones inspire - which is to say, the essence of being a good manager is to bring out the best in the people you manage, and those who do it well can achieve great things - for those they manage as much as for anyone.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I can't stand the fascination for avoiding plain English in normal conversations. I've mentioned on CC before about the time I was sorting out a complaint at work for a female colleague and I was asked, "Have you interfaced with her since the last email?"

Pretentious nonsense.

Top Bottom