Management Speak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The management in the charity/ company that I very occasionally do some care work for struggle with the idea that we aren't all sitting at a desk with a PC , printer and scanner.

Anything and everything I ask them meets with the same response
" It's on the company drive "

Trying to get an expenses form or timesheet from them is becoming impossible
Put in a request for a copy of the company drive. See what the response is.

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 26715

Asked the other day why something hadn't been resolved, to be told it wasn't as they thought "I was melting away from the idea & it didn't need doing", WTF if I didn't want it doing then I would have said I didn't want it doing as to melting away from the idea speak English not gobbledegook

OP
OP
MossCommuter
Asked the other day why something hadn't been resolved, to be told it wasn't as they thought "I was melting away from the idea & it didn't need doing", WTF if I didn't want it doing then I would have said I didn't want it doing as to melting away from the idea speak English not gobbledegook
I do that; ignore the gaffer and his crazy plans until he is really really sure he wants me to do it that way

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Put in a request for a copy of the company drive. See what the response is.
In a similar vein, we are bombarded with SOPs, company rules, all sorts of stuff we have to read then sign to say we've read and understood it.
Now I'm not particually good at retaining info the first (or even second) time round and when you've just been given half a dozen instructions/whatever to digest and sign for...i once said...
'Can I have a paper copy of all this ?
'Why ?'
" I've just had 6 or so sets of information in a couple minutes, I won't remember 20% of it all in 10 minutes let alone a month or so...it'd be practical to have something I can refer back to if I need to'
'Oh, we're not doing paper copies, it'd be too much paper everywhere'...it seemed a dismissal of my concerns.

So they stonewalled it, but it made them think because a week later a massive tome of all the regs and relevent stuff appeared in the canteen for the staff to refer to.

Made em work for their money :tongue:

subaqua

What’s the point
Laser focus on performance ...

I did mention that Goldfinger tried to cut Bonds nuts off with a laser . And that it should be all caps . And that there will always be Kerf and a HAZ with a laser ..

Anything featuring Dilbert???

perplexed

Guru
Like @gbb, one of the issues is the attempts of 'any firm' to negate/minimise any corporate responsibility for almost anything by getting staff to 'sign' for their training. The 'training' may be of varying degrees of quality, the 'training' may be delivered in 2013 for requirement 'X' say.

Requirement 'X' is something, for example, which may be incredibly important/risky - but the rub is that activity 'X' may be quite intricate and only needs doing once every 4 years, and that may be unexpected/at random.

When requirement 'X' therefore goes belly up, one may be assured that the first thing 'any firm' does will be to frantically search through the records to find the piece of paper which aleiviates them of any responsibility because the 'training' was delivered and signed for.

screenman

Legendary Member
Seems like most of you could do a better job than the people above you, how come you are not doing those jobs and taking the benefits? Honest question.

gbb

Legendary Member
Like @gbb, one of the issues is the attempts of 'any firm' to negate/minimise any corporate responsibility for almost anything by getting staff to 'sign' for their training. The 'training' may be of varying degrees of quality, the 'training' may be delivered in 2013 for requirement 'X' say.

Requirement 'X' is something, for example, which may be incredibly important/risky - but the rub is that activity 'X' may be quite intricate and only needs doing once every 4 years, and that may be unexpected/at random.

When requirement 'X' therefore goes belly up, one may be assured that the first thing 'any firm' does will be to frantically search through the records to find the piece of paper which aleiviates them of any responsibility because the 'training' was delivered and signed for.
Oh we all understand what's happening, the company is basically covering it's ass and doing it in a way that costs the least possible...ie staff carrying it out and time taken.
Equally, as you say, you can be sure they'll come waving a piece of paper at you if anything goes awry.

gbb

Legendary Member
Seems like most of you could do a better job than the people above you, how come you are not doing those jobs and taking the benefits? Honest question.
Because in some cases some managers want everything to change and want it NOW which puts some people under a lot of pressure..more than is reasonable.
We had one, came in with a new broom, wanted loads of stuff changing, some we found ourselves doing twice because he couldn't make up his mind, some we'd only just done for the former manager...and were now doing it again...some stuff we advised him wouldn't work, he demanded we do it anyway, to find out within a week or so it didn't work so we had it all to do again.
Managers like that do your head in. He was very clever in some aspects but just needed to slow down a bit and consider things more...and also consider your already busy workload..and in some cases consider their manner. He was unusual, you don't often meet such overbearing characters.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As soon as people start this kind of talk they could hand a whole range of signs round their neck.

Twxt and I speak bollxcks

I have no time for them.

Top Bottom