Manchester 100 Event Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, got up early, didn't sleep too well as a 5.00am wake up was on the cards.

Had to wait for the last minute to leave the house to ride to the Park due to it being so dark with the cloud cover - just got to Wythenshawe Park at minutes before 7.00.

Sharky spotted me and we left at just after 7. Weather was a bit damp, but the rain had eased off (wet further East when I set off). Our group quickly picked up a number of earlier riders as we headed out towards Hale. A nice group of about 16 or so riders had now built up.

Pace was a constant 18-20 MPH (think that was something to do with me sat on the front - sorry folks). As we approached Delamere there were a few steep but short climbs that suddenly stopped all conversation - a quick joke from me had a few laughing "and the conversation stops !" Roads were OK bar a few gravely areas and muddy spots.

As we travelled further south (at about 40-45 miles) I and a number of others overcooked a tight bend - I ended up on the opposite side near the verge - good job there wasn't a car. I think I did about 45 of the 55 miles on the front - I felt fine, so stayed up there as I could see the road better.

Rain held off as we reached Nantwich and the enforced stop. Fortunately the marshalls said we could stop for as long as we wanted, so a quick 10 minutes for water refils and the odd cuppa, and a loo stop.

Sharky came in a few minutes down on our group as one of his mates was a bit knackered, so he had hung back.

As we were getting ready to go, a lad from Edinburgh Cycles joined us - he'd been on his own for most of the 55 miles... totally 'hissed off' as he'd not seen that many riders (other than passed a few)

He mentioned that a Corsa had driven at him at speed, on his side of the road (coming in the opposite direction), with a foam batton - the lad had managed to swerve, but the idiots smacked the lad following on his arm. Fortunately he had the sence to report it to the next marshal, and it was reported to the Police (although not able to get the registration). At the finish, it turned out that the car was stolen, and the lad that was hit was OK, but his arm was swolen.

Our group of 10 or so now set off (a few riders hadn't stopped for long) for the remaining 45 miles. It had now started to drizzel, but no-one bothered with waterproofs due to heat build up.

I continued on the front, with a few of the lads coming up for a stint next to me as we kept the tempo up to Crewe. At this point we joined the 100k route.

Plenty of experienced riders doing the 100k, but you did really have to watch out for those 'non serious' cyclists - bit all over the shop, so our group singled out and rode next to the white line for some time, whilst issueing words of encouragement. Hat's off to the occasional cyclists, some of the bikes were pretty low spec - that's a hell of a long way to ride.....

As we got to Crewe, our group started to splinter on any hills (my fault again - got my fueling right) and I ended up with the lad from EBC. He admitted he was goosed, so sat on, which was fine as I felt good.

We passed a pub in Middlewich which was crammed with cyclists... when the lad from EBC mentioned he had spotted some nice ladies on MTB's......we nearly stopped, but cramp was now setting in if we stopped anywhere - so kept going.

Continued towards Byley, again passing loads of 100k rider, Peover, Mobberley, and Wilmslow.

At 94 miles, some old witch starts beeping the horn of her Mini (new) and gesticulating - well I just tell her to funk off - the other lad wasn't sure if she was encouraging us, but when I geve her the evils at the lights, she was off again.... FFS - we were riding single file, and passing all these wobbly bob's at this point..... Happy to say, the only incident we had.

After Wilmslow was the little hill towards Styal - I'll admit it's not welcome when you are fighting cramps, but we both span up it, rather than honk it. Nice run from then into the finish, other than waiting at lights - cramps again trying to get you.

100 miles is 5.15 so I'm happy ! Plus 20 miles return from home.

Feel totally fine (can't believe it) a little sore, but nothing much.

Thoroughly enjoyable day, laods of friendly cyclinst, and very good organisation.

Get this, big signs at all junctions (90 or so of them) and a marshal at every one - hat's off to Bike Events.... took us down loads of little lanes, only short sections on major roads - brill.

Bike was a total mess, no oil left on chain, clothes filthy.... all clean now, and I'm enjoying a few glasses of wine - think we all deserved that.

KINGCUTTER

Nice report don't agree with great organisation,having only done of these before ie the Manchter blackpool,i thought the sign for the shorter route was not very clear and i sailed right past it so i was on my on for a while and had gone to far on to turn back so ended up doing the longer route.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ah - yep - we nearly turned left at that point, but someone shouted noooo....there was a big 100 mile route this way though, about 100 yards further past - was a bit rubbish at that point.. admittedly. They do need better signs at that point.

PS Good on the 100 mile one then !

Great Ride today on the new Bike. Did the 100K with three mates, with an average of 15 mph which is not bad given the mixed ability of our group. Used to more hills around were I live so the pancake flat course was fairly testing given the time your legs are spinning without a break.

The bike performed well although my backside was asking some serious questions about the new saddle. :tongue:

I could really tell the difference in riding a carbon frame, particularly on those little sharp hills.

Apart from the dodgy sign for the left turn onto the 100k course I thought the event was very well organised. I have done a fair bit of marshalling, hats off to all the guys who will have been sitting in their positions all day.

The weather was fantastic apart from the last 45 minutes or so of our ride which was very heavy rain.

Well done to everyone who took part today, I am sure alot of money has been raised for a Christies.

elvisparsley

I thought the marshalling was good, pretty well oraganised all round. Loved it. A great fast ride out, then got difficult after the stop at Nantwich. Always difficult to get going afterwards I think. Did anyone NOT stop and just keep going? And is it better if you don't stop? Didn't enjoy the route back through Wilmslow much. Reckon there are alternative routes back to Wythenshawe that are a little less busy at that time in the afternoon?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

We stopped just for water, and the loo, but it took us 10 miles to get back into it - tricky as you need to stop for a short while.

Was fairly sociable - that's why I went - only the last 30 did the group split, but it didn't really matter as there were loads of riders on the course by then.

The short/long course splits always worry me - today's wasn't good... Marshall on it I think next time.

Maybe next year, if the weather is good, we should all stop for a pint at the pub in Middlewich..... lot's of nice ladies...on bikes....I hear....... didn't see it myself - too much pain by then to even think about it !

Still buzzing now.....

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My take on Fossy's story... :biggrin:

Set off just after 7am and one of our group lost his sunglasses about 4 miles in.. he said he'd catch us up so we continued. As it turns out we didn't see him again until the rest stop at 55 miles - mostly due to Fossy's mad pace from the front!!! :ohmy:

Another of our group was being dropped from about 40 miles so we (myself and the last remaining colleague from our starting group, excluding my Internet Date as Fossyant became known) dropped back to help him back to the pack.. we eased back slowly and caught back up by about 44 miles only to find that he'd been dropped again. :sad:

We settled back to join him and the three of us continued at a more reasonable pace whereby our hearts weren't on the verge of exploding. :laugh:

At the rest stop we arrived just as it bucketed it down so we enjoyed a hot cuppa and just as we were preparing to leave our 'lost glasses' colleague arrived looking rather triumphant at having survived. Apparently everyone and his dog seemed to be riding in the exact same colours we were in so he thought he'd caught us numerous times only to find that it was someone else who appreciably increased their speed when some lunatic caught them up with a maniacal look on his face. :tongue:

We stayed longer than we had planned at the rest stop (i.e. until the rain stopped) then set off for the second part. Now free of the relentless pace setting we kept a more manageable 17 - 18mph, went up some nasty hills and avoided trillions on full-sussers doing the 100km (chapeau to some of those mad men and women - I don't think I'd have risked a visit to the local chippy on some of their bikes!).

We finished in 5hrs 50mins and were pleased with that. I'm not sure the 100 mile rides agree with me as much as the 60ers, even though I'd taken on board loads of fluid I still managed to finish with a slightly dubious 'I've-obviously-given-a-polar-bear-a-blow-job' white crustiness dotted over my face, but managed to convince the rest of the party that it was merely a spot of dehydration and essential salts (phew). :biggrin:

All in all it was a good ride, but I think I'll be sticking to the Manc -> Blackpool runs in future, and without Fossy on his motorbike leading us out. :tongue:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Also, if anyone sees the herd of drunken elephants who sneakily anally raped me en-route (I'm assuming that's what happened to make my arse so sore), please report them to the police. They need to be stopped before they kill someone.

KINGCUTTER

The short/long course splits always worry me - today's wasn't good... Marshall on it I think next time.

Maybe next year, if the weather is good, we should all stop for a pint at the pub in Middlewich..... lot's of nice ladies...on bikes....I hear....... didn't see it myself - too much pain by then to even think about it !

Still buzzing now.....[/quote]

Eay Tiger one of those Ladies would have been my wife.:laugh:;)

Matt

I managed to do the 100miles in just under 8 hours (which is not bad considering I only started road biking a few weeks ago). I noticed that alot of the other cyclists were very friendly and if you had stopped because of a puncture or any other problem they would always offer to help. The road was a bit crap in places, expecially the bit when passing a farm, i think it was about 20miles in.

I only did the ride to raise some money for christies and collectivly me and my mate who rode with me raised over £300.

By the way. If any of you wondered who we were, we were the only ones with our number gaffer taped to our coats because we thought we had some pins to use and then found out at about 6am we didnt, so had to find something else quick before setting off. Gaffer tape was the only option:biggrin:

Top Bottom