Manchester 100 mile challenge - 31st Aug - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo148

Hello
I've signed up to complete the 100 mile challenge on 31st August round Manchester. I've not taken part in any cycling event before, but I've completed a C2C back in 2011 so I know I can (hopefully!) manage the distance. Does anyone have any advice as to what to expect on the day, how to prepare etc?!

Thanks
Willo148

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just ride your bike plenty. The route is pan flat.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just get out and get some miles in. It's one of the flatter 100 mile events, but there is still some climbing of around 3000 feet.

Take food/drink and money with you as there is nothing provided other than water. You may just want to stop at Nantwich at the school for a refil, but there is a nice Cafe at Nantwich Marina !

There is a big mix of abilities on these, especially when the two routes merge again near Middlewich.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Just get out and get some miles in. It's one of the flatter 100 mile events, but there is still some climbing of around 3000 feet.

Take food/drink and money with you as there is nothing provided other than water. You may just want to stop at Nantwich at the school for a refil, but there is a nice Cafe at Nantwich Marina !

There is a big mix of abilities on these, especially when the two routes merge again near Middlewich.

Dangerous when the two routes merge!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've done it 3 times now. First year managed to get in with a few friendly folk until Nantwich, then was on my own after that and dragged another lad back to Wythenshawe. Second time, I set off early with a 'quick' group. This was a mistake as some of them were absolute miseries ! One guy would never let anyone take up the pace, and kept pushing through. I was glad when I had to make a stop in Kelsall to adjust my front mech. Spent the next 50 miles on my own.

Third time was a group of us from here. Didn't go to plan at the start as one guy hammered it off (not a CC'er) and he didn't tell us he was going to go, so it split the bunch. We eventually re-grouped and had a stop at Nantwich Marina for a fry up. Good to have a chat and it makes the miles tick !

Think this is my fifth year .... We Do it as a club run usually about ten of us ..
I promised my Mrs I would be back early afternoon ... we start of 7.00/7.30
on the way round looked at the time and thought I will pull off on the 60m turn off
asked a question have we gone past the 60 m sign ... yea pasted it 30 mins ago !
May as well carry on ..

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've done it 3 times now. First year managed to get in with a few friendly folk until Nantwich, then was on my own after that and dragged another lad back to Wythenshawe. Second time, I set off early with a 'quick' group. This was a mistake as some of them were absolute miseries ! One guy would never let anyone take up the pace, and kept pushing through. I was glad when I had to make a stop in Kelsall to adjust my front mech. Spent the next 50 miles on my own.

Third time was a group of us from here. Didn't go to plan at the start as one guy hammered it off (not a CC'er) and he didn't tell us he was going to go, so it split the bunch. We eventually re-grouped and had a stop at Nantwich Marina for a fry up. Good to have a chat and it makes the miles tick !

hah, Jason is a top bloke and strong as an ox, he just didn't realise what others were doing and the others didn't realise what he was doing (he did say he was only doing the 60 mile route, I just think very few people realised).

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
This year will be my second, Great Ride!

endoman

Did it last year for Joining Jack. Never got out of the big ring. Took it fairly easy till halfway then got in with another lad and we helped each other out for about the next 30 miles passing lots of others, then had to solo it for the last hour or so. Tis a perfect 100 for your first, but very busy at times and some " interesting" riding. Saw plenty on full TT bikes which in a group like that isn't the wisest thing. Take your own food, and if you avoid the bigger feedstations there is little queue for water.

Top Bottom