Manchester 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a nice one on Styal Road - just out of Heald Green - don't know the name, so that's as much use as a chocolate fire guard... although at the bottom of the runway (noisey)..... probably a few others as well.

Don't stay in Wythenshawe...your bike will have the wheels nicked from under you !

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
fossyant said:
Don't stay in Wythenshawe...your bike will have the wheels nicked from under you !
Ouch - that's rather harsh*

* but probably entirely fair! ;)

nom de plum

elvisparsley said:
I think there are 3 stops- the mandatory one at Northwich last year and a couple of others that I didn't visit, being totally hardcore myself. Bloody hard to get back on it after that stop I thought. The 100 is a good one as it's pretty much pancake flat and there are all abilities involved so you'll find a bunch at a pace you're happy with. See you there!
PS can I get on your wheel?

They have a "health and safety" mandatory half hour stop at Nantwich, where they stamp a ride card... a bit ridiculous really...i've not bothered for the last 2 year. As well as Nantwich the refreshments are at (I think) Norley and at Middlewich.... I don't bother with these either..very crowded...however...
the ride is good fun

Right - I'm in. Only ever done 50 miles before so need to get some practice in over the next few weekends.
Does anyone have a route gpx -I've tried bikely and toaster, the map on the bike events website isn't much cop.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

So what is to stop you re-filling your bottle, get a stamp, and getting back on the bike.... I don't want to hang about for 30 mins as it really buggers up the muscles.. especially if the weather isn't too good.......

Does this help for the file - ps it's not current - maybe a couple of years ago...

http://blog.2280.net/?page_id=270

nom de plum

fossyant said:
So what is to stop you re-filling your bottle, get a stamp, and getting back on the bike.... I don't want to hang about for 30 mins as it really buggers up the muscles.. especially if the weather isn't too good.......

Does this help for the file - ps it's not current - maybe a couple of years ago...

http://blog.2280.net/?page_id=270

I think the link you posted looks perfect. I get the impression the route changes very little apart from when avoiding short notice unforeseen incidents.

Thanks for the links chaps. I did the leg down to Northwich today before cutting back to Holmes Chapel and home.

Do you start at 7 or 8 (on the dot ie 2 start options) or anytime between? How are peoples times measured?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
cheadle hulme said:
Do you start at 7 or 8 (on the dot ie 2 start options) or anytime between?
They set riders off in smallish groups with a few minutes between groups. The event is on open roads so there would be chaos if many hundreds of riders all tried to go at the same time. It doesn't take long for the groups to start spreading out on the road though once you are out of town.

It is very easy to get carried away and go too quick early on. That was always my problem - I'd overtake about 200 riders in the first few miles but then have about 150 of them overtake me later on!

cheadle hulme said:
How are peoples times measured?
We are given little ID cards to carry with us and the times get written on them. When you arrive at the 'halfway-stop' (the 55 mile stop in fact), there is a table set out in the school grounds with a couple of teenage volunteers sat there to mark your card on the way in and the way out. That's how they try and enforce the 30 minute stop. I can only think that the stop is designed to protect inexperienced riders who might otherwise not take a break and then find themselves dehydrated, tired and hungry somewhere on the 45 mile run back through Cheshire. Perhaps it is a condition for the organisers' event insurance?

Matt

Hi all. New to this forum

I am doing the Manchester 100m too. Only recently started road biking in the past few months. I managed to get myself a very nice SCR4 off ebay in the past week, so I am all set up with a new bike for the ride. Any tips for this ride? I have read on here that its a quite flat route, so hopefully my first century ride will not kill me. Me and my mate have been training for the past 2 months or so for this ride, and are really looking forward to it.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Well, I signed up for this yesterday.

There are 2 chaps from work doing it (we all did the Manc -> Blackpool run a few weeks ago too) and possibly 2 more mates of one of the chaps... so all in all we may have a group of 5 of us.

Anyone wishing to join us is more than welcome - we'll be hoping to get round in about somewhere between 6 - 6.5 hours (not including the rest stop) with a 7am start time... but as none of us has ever done a 100 miler this may be just pure dreaming!! :smile:

Might take you up on that offer Sharky - 100 miles is now looking like a big step up from what I've previously done. I'm going to try a 50 this Sunday back to my house and then another 20 if i feel OK.

Colin - thanks for the info - much appreciated.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

If you can do the 50-70 on your own you'll be fine for the 100 - you'll probably get in a group which will make it more interesting, and less daunting.

I went out for 60 last saturday, and did that in under 3 hours - used two 700ml bottles of energy drink, 2 flapjacks and a frusili bar.

So at the enforced stop, I'll just refill the bottles and add my own energy powder.

Certainly worth doing one long ride just to see what drink/food suits you.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Cripes Foss, you were shifting!! Average speed of over 20mph!!! :laugh:

We managed just shy of 17mph for the Manc to Blackpool so it took us 3.5 hours (3hrs, 31mins 19 secs to be precise) and we're hoping for an average of about 15 - 15.5mph for the 100 to get a time of about 6.5 hours (then have another 30 mins for the forced rest stop).

Looks like you won't be joining us then, well even if you did you'd be leaving us within about 200 metres! :smile:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The 60 miler was a bit quick.... ran it as a tester and a whim.. 'just popping out for 3 hours'....... went well and back when I said I would be.... BONUS !

To be honest, that was my fastest ever solo training 60 miles, even when race fit. (excluding 50 mile TT's).....

I haven't ridden over 3/4 hours for a very very long time.... not at that pace - just checking my Shell V-Power fuel was OK...........

I've got a 7.10 start, so if I see you I'll be there - my missus is off out of here as I'll be up early...... to the MIL's caravan - great I'd say, but no vino at all the night before..bugger....

I do fancy a very fast ride, but a ride in good company makes things much better - I don't have a time challenge......just testing as I've not really done too many long rides - over 2 hours and I get bored......I'm a shocker..ADHD..or what... ??????????

Let me know where you lot will be at the Park, and ill catch you up - don't mind !!! I also don't mind being a tow !!

PS It's Frank or the Ribble... not the MTB commuter..that get's ridden far too much....

Top Bottom