Manchester 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone doing it ?

7th September 2008.

I am ;) - my first 'sportive' (well charity event then). Not done 100 miles for a long long time, and thought I'd test myself on this one as it's fairly flat.....(unfortunately not doing the Cycle Chat Manchester Orbital ride to Southport).

Interested to know how many 'refreshment' stops there are for re-fills - you don't get anything free. Anyone know what's available - food/drink etc.

Really hope to do more Sportives next year once I get a feel for the distance again.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm thinking about signing up - one of the chaps I did the Manc -> Blackpool run with says he has 3 mates who did a sprint triathlon with him who are interested too... perhaps we can go as a group?

I've never done a 100 miler so I'm rather hoping it won't kill me... I did the 100Km a couple of years back on a hybrid with panniers (you may remember my penchant for taking excess equipment from the forum ride!! ;)) and some of the hills were a bit nasty, but it should be a tad easier now on my road bike.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Sorry - forgot to answer the question.

Re: the refreshment points - I remember there being 2 on the 100Km route and I know they enforced a 30 mins stop for those doing the 100 miles... unsure how many more there were on the longer route though. I didn't stop at any so I've also no idea what happens there (i.e. free refills and/or drinks for sale etc.)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Hate stopping - you might not get back on...:biggrin: No...seriously it stiffens the legs up.

Here is hoping for some good weather - we are overdue some ! One of the guys from here will be doing it, but he usually does the short route.

elvisparsley

I think there are 3 stops- the mandatory one at Northwich last year and a couple of others that I didn't visit, being totally hardcore myself. Bloody hard to get back on it after that stop I thought. The 100 is a good one as it's pretty much pancake flat and there are all abilities involved so you'll find a bunch at a pace you're happy with. See you there!
PS can I get on your wheel?

Tharg2007

Veteran
so its flat all round? was thinking about doing it but unsure as im not too fit at the moment and I only have a fixed bike. Is it doable on a fixed?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tharg2007 said:
so its flat all round? was thinking about doing it but unsure as im not too fit at the moment and I only have a fixed bike. Is it doable on a fixed?
I laugh when people describe it as 'pancake flat' - in truth, there is about 3,000 ft of climbing in total. True - there aren't any big hills, but there are some short steepish little ones which might cause you a few problems on your fixed bike if you are worried about your fitness. Only pretty fit people call it flat. You will see lots of people off their bikes and walking in places.

Okay, it is probably about as flat a century route as you are likely to find without going to somewhere like the Netherlands.

Heck, make your own mind up - here's the profile:

m100_profile.jpg

Note - I've stretched the profile vertically to make the software display the vertical scale - it's not as bad as it looks. I put the cursor on the highest point of the route which is at about 102 m above sea level. The start is at just over 30 m.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Not advisable on a fixie - you've got hills near Delamere and some good lumps here and there - not the peak district, but not exactly flat.

Looks like I'll use the mandatory stop to grab a bite to eat, and just the rest to top up the water.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm sorely tempted. Did the Manchester to Blackpool a couple of months ago, but never got near the ton...

Have to have a word with SHMBO and see if I can scrounge a day pass ;)

Top Bottom