Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

Wimped out and did the 100k in the end with CycloNick. Decided there was a tad too many climbs which seemed to appear in quick succession between Hatchmere and Beeston for our capabilities when we did a quick reccie in the car the week before. Rather than limp home or worse still fail to complete the ride, we decided that discretion was the better part of valour and instead enjoy the shorter route.

An enjoyable day on the whole; think the fifteen man "train" passed me around Mobberley (maybe before)
biggrin.gif
Agree Styal Hill didn't seem quite as tough as last year ..... but tough enough. Apologies to the young lady on the Mountain bike who we overtook on the climb up but you've got to keep the momentum up once your rolling; I should add that she proved more than a match for us on the flat once we'd reach the summit, and promptly disappeared into the distance
biggrin.gif

Strange how you find that extra bit of energy at the end; we probably rode our fastest from Styal Hill summit to the finish line. ...... Is it me getting old or are Penguin biscuits getting smaller
huh.gif
rolleyes.gif

Couple of minor grumbles though. A few too many times I experienced close overtaking by, quite franky, cyclists who I'd expect better passing technique; poor judgement or boorish behaviour? ..... the jury is out on that one I'm afraid. And to the guy in the Credit Agricole shirt who almost swerved into my front wheel early on in the ride and oblivious to what he'd done ..... if you're reading this ..... thanks ..... maybe when you're overtaking you can make sure you leave it a bit longer before cutting back in
wink.gif

Big disappointment not to get that first Century Ride under our belts, particularly as this was what we'd originally planned, but it would've been a bigger downer if we'd started but not finished an event. Onward and upward though; we'll sign up for the Oxford - Cambridge and if the course is the 92 it turned out to be last year, we'll ride through the finish and cycle on home; that should rack up 102 hopefully and mission accomplished
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 37
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 38

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When you're quoting your finishing times, are they total riding time or the overall time?

Ride time - excludes the 10 minutes at the rest stop when I pressed stop on my garmin.

2lose2stone

As a new member I have to say that all you guys have done brilliantlylooking at the times, this is the second organised event I have done the firstbeing the legendary 2008 Birmingham to Oxford ride that should have put me offcycling forever, we had nothing but torrential rain and had the Red Cross givingout bin bags to stop most of us catching hypothermia, such memories.

This ride was very different and I reallyenjoyed it, the 15 man train swooping by telling us to ‘KEEP LEFT... KEEP LEFT...’and even though it took me 5hrs 15mins to do the 100k I was a happy man. Next time I want to bring this down and do the 100m. Quick question, does anyone know of a goodcycling club in Northampton.

OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

Our group did 6hr 45mins but only 3 of us, I spent a lot of time waiting for my team mates in good team spirit and making sure they got through it - it's a charity event after all, plus I asked them to take part as a team from work.

All in all though, and fantastic day - got left leg cramp for a while, and my back was aching between 60 and 90 miles, but scooted along for the last 10 miles to the finish.

I thought it was mightily impressive seeing the 'peleton' race past us (even if the Duff Beer jersey did nearly take me out with his rear wheel!) - almost a kin to a lifeless machine just turning the cogs.

I'll be looking at sportives this/next year me thinks, so I can really see how fast I can go on my own.

Glad everyone on here enjoyed it - didn't see the Cycle Chat jersey though!

OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

Oh boy, do I wish I could do 100 miles in 3hrs......... :smile:

100K I'm afraid.

I thought so - just wanted to check! :smile:

I need something to aim for you see.

Saying that, 62 miles in 3:02 is a very good time - and that's what I shall now aim for. 20.44mph is a fantastic average!

Boomerado

It was my first 100 mile on the manchester this year. I did the Km 2 years ago in about 5 hours.

This year i managed the 100 Mile in 5:59 and my mate got 5:30.

Next year i want to be aiming for 5:30.

Great weather and a great ride, practically flat all the way round with no climbs to mention. If your reading this and want to have a go at a century then i can definately recommend this !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody know who this peloton was? They sound like semi pros out for a spin and a bit of posing.

Paul_L

Über Member
It was my first 100 mile on the manchester this year. I did the Km 2 years ago in about 5 hours.

This year i managed the 100 Mile in 5:59 and my mate got 5:30.

Next year i want to be aiming for 5:30.

Great weather and a great ride, practically flat all the way round with no climbs to mention. If your reading this and want to have a go at a century then i can definately recommend this !

Blimey, that's some improvement over 2 years! An extra 38miles in an hour! Good on ya'

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Last year did the 63 miles in 4 hrs and 50 mins so was hoping for an improvment on the same milage this weekend , so am happy i did the 63 miles in 4hrs 5 mins.

Thats moving my avarage from 12.5 to 15.5 mph . ,,, hopefully next year i can knock another 45 mins off

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ohhh.look who this is...............

I'm here somewhere - the darker blue blob about 4 bikes back........:wacko:

_CSP5768.JPG

Tharg you are there in the photo's too one of the 'first' set of riders through....

Manchester 100 Pics

The pics are divided into 4 lots, 1st hour, 2 hour etc.

'Twas a damn fine day to do a 100 miles - apart from that wind! I had the advantage of a great pace group to cycle with initially but they dropped back after just short of an hour giving me a lonely 30 odd miles on my Jack Jones into a headwind before rejoining a group just before Nantwich. Unfortunately the guys stopped there leaving me to carry on alone again. But then I had the excellent good fortune to hook up with the phenomonally strong Phil of Liverpool Century who was looking for a sub 5 hour time. He towed me without complaint for miles until I was able to return the favour for a while and we enjoyed some great cameraderie whilst blasting the last few miles for me to finish in 5:15. Considering the previous years 5:38 I was quite happy and with a bit of luck and less wind can see a sub 5 hours one day... I was definitely helped massively by Phil and a couple of good groups but did enough of a stint on the front and on my own to ease my conscience. There were also some terrific marshals who we should thank for a job well done although a guy reading a newspaper let us steam past a junction that wasn't well marked and the air went blue!!!

I rarely do these sort of things - I'm a mountain biker really but it's a great opportunity to ride peleton style and experience the atmosphere of a big event. There was the usual quota of naughty behaviour by cyclists and car drivers alike who should know better but the mood generally was friendly and generous. Thanks to everyone who did their bit on the day for a great cause.

Si Taylor

Top Bottom