Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
really enjoyed reading the reports. Well done kestevan and gaz for the 100k rides and to fossy, iZo and tharg for the fuller version.

Had an hour or so's kip this afternoon. Legs feel very heavy but no real soreness so that's good. More importantly my back is fine (was most definately not fine earlier in the year!)

Have to say, i know the event has it's knockers but i really enjoyed it. Thought the markers were really good. With so many junctions and turnings there could have been lots of potential to miss a turning. I didn't stop at all, so the lack of food / drinks didn't affect me as it would have done on the 100mile. I suppose the only gripe for the money - apart from what the charity may or may not get - is you'd have thought it could be timed. That and a goody bag. Not that a penguin and a bottle of water didn't go down well ;)

Fossy, the route map you put on a couple of pages back. Was that right for today? Can't help remembering a left turn at the top of Styal hill? That said i don't know the area at all, so maybe visual memory and a 2d map don't relate.

Like gaz i'll be back for the 100m next year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fossy, the route map you put on a couple of pages back. Was that right for today? Can't help remembering a left turn at the top of Styal hill? That said i don't know the area at all, so maybe visual memory and a 2d map don't relate.

You can't turn left there - farmer's field, or the route may have recorded someone having a 'break' on a GPS...... I had lots of turn here or there 'bleeps', but as the maps are GPX from Bikely or where ever, they won't exactly follow the Garmin map, so I tend to zoom out a little as the maps cut intersections etc. Never have issues with my own planned routes on the garmin Mapping software as it's the same - you just have to bear this in mind - I only learnt this on the Cheshire Cat - "OMG where has the route gone" - zoom out and it's jumped the corners........:biggrin:

I'm still learning bout my Garmin.......blasted thing.......... but I love it...........

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have to say, i know the event has it's knockers but i really enjoyed it. Thought the markers were really good. With so many junctions and turnings there could have been lots of potential to miss a turning. I didn't stop at all, so the lack of food / drinks didn't affect me as it would have done on the 100mile. I suppose the only gripe for the money - apart from what the charity may or may not get - is you'd have thought it could be timed. That and a goody bag. Not that a penguin and a bottle of water didn't go down well ;)

I like it...........

Where did you get the Penguin....I've been done :tongue:

Yes they do charge quite a lot, but I don't get £9 or £10 worth of food and stuff from a major event.....5 bananas and some energy food.....
drink

It's a good spirited event......

Most major junctions are marshalled - yes they don't do much, but the sign can't be knicked....... happened on the Cheshire Cat this year in Holmes Chapel........ directing you on a side lane, or over to a major motorway junction)

Organising folk must take time and money, even if all marshalls are volunteers, and bike support doesn't come cheap (i.e. mechanics/pickup) and.... It's not aimed at us looneys on a bike..there are some total beginners that need the support over 60 miles - that's what we 'experts' pay for.........

First 100 miler for me today, and first ride in a group - 6hrs 45, 14.9. Considering I only got back on a bike last year and I'm no beanpole I'm happy with that. Was a bit windy wasn't it - particularly around Beeston and in the Winsford to Middlewich section.

And I got 3 penguins - anyone want one?

Congrats to every CC'r who had a go.

jamesxyz

Just nicely got back - cracking ride and weather was nigh on perfect.

Bottled out in the end, and only did the 100k - just missed cracking the 3hr mark, came in at 3:07.

Spoke to JamesXYZ just before the split for the 100.... he called me suicidal :smile:

I was still recovering from a decidedly unwise overtaking maneuver (entirely my fault) that very nearly had me as a Transit van hood ornament :smile:

Definate squeeky bum time :smile:

That was one hairy manoeuvre - I had a squeeky bum and I was just watching!

Did the 100 miles in 5:20 (my computer read 102!). Quite pleased with that, would have liked to get under the 5 hours but not really possible for me with the wind today - I went through a very tough patch around 85-95 miles and lost the guys I'd been working with.

Got my penguin though ;) and the free mag although I just st down to read it and realised its the same one I was given at the Manc-Blackpool ride, the tight g*ts :wacko:

Well done all.

Soaked my aching legs on a cold bath for 20 mins so hopefully will be sprightly tomorrow!

400bhp

Guru
Great ride today and a very god route.

Managed a 6:07. Would have done it quicker but was nursing my mate round a bit of the way. I left him with 25 ish miles to go as I got bored and tanked it.

Style hill - pah, it's no Sheep House Lane.

On to coast to coast next Sat - not sure i'll be on the bike this week.

Tharg2007

Veteran
style hill isn't that bad really, just seems it if you weren't expecting it, especially after 80 odd miles. Ok if you know its just round that bend and pick the up the pace going down the hill before it, gets you up half way with little effort.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
at the finish line under the gazebo thing. a penguin and a bottle of water. Both were welcome!

Dont forget about the Magazine and a certificate (back end of the gazebo)
Thought it was a cracking day, and really enjoyed the route, and the banter with other riders on the way round , most as they went passed me only to be reeled in 20 miles or so later.
The lanes towards the end seemed relentless and was just running out of steam as i hit Style and realised how close to the finish i was and the energy came back for the big push to the end.
Really enjoy these days

KINGCUTTER

Really enjoyed today both me and the wife did the 100k,I never came out of my big ring though which I thought was an achievement,

leeman

had an excellent day, first 100m, which the route suited perfectly, steamed around in what i thought was a healthy 5 and a half ( even allowing for the herd of awkward bovines and a slap happy farmer!). stewarding was excellent too, dead friendly and helpful. only gripe, sort out that goodie bag . . . a penguin biscuit, really?
well done to everyone who took part and specially the 15 man train whom i drafted off the back of for a good half hour!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Nice report there and well done - I wasn't doing 27 though Styal...... knackered - looked like you were back way before us, the park was a bit 'busier' by the time we rolled in.

PS My Garmin worked faultlessly (on 3.2 OS which I believe is dodgy) - recorded going there, the 100 miles and coming back. Come to plug the blasted thing in, and ........it's flippin hard reset and lost everything........ oh well....back to 3.1 OS.....:tongue:

Cheers Buddy

Yeah I was back for around 1140 ish, the park was dead, but its all good, looking forward to 100 miles next year, then there will be no sprinting through Style for me either LOL

Never had a hard-rest, not sure what F/W I'm on though, better double check it really if 3.2 is that bad

Beaker39

Managed to do a decent time today for the 100 mile of 5hr 26mins so happy enough with that.

One thing that did dissapoint me though was the amount of people who just drafted behind our 3 man team but never once came to the front for a turn. Out of the whole day ONLY 1 person offered to help out which was a little annoying especially when there was often 15 to 20 riders sat on the back of us. You move out to next the next guy through and drop back and they all just drop off to let me back in at number 3!! Cheeky buggers!!!

Ho hum.

Top Bottom