Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
feeling sleepy
wacko.gif

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just nicely got back - cracking ride and weather was nigh on perfect.

Bottled out in the end, and only did the 100k - just missed cracking the 3hr mark, came in at 3:07.

Spoke to JamesXYZ just before the split for the 100.... he called me suicidal :smile:

I was still recovering from a decidedly unwise overtaking maneuver (entirely my fault) that very nearly had me as a Transit van hood ornament :smile:

Definate squeeky bum time :smile:

Paul_L

Über Member
happy with that.

Did the 100km and did 3h38m.

My longest ever ride.

Set off steady and enjoyed the company of lots of other riders. At about 10 miles in decided to up the pace a bit and rode in some big fast groups (slightly too fast for me really). At the route split it was very quiet, and upto 35 miles was moving well, just picking MTBs and the odd roadie off. Started to tire at this point, and bumped into a lad from Stoke, who was a bit faster than me, but we rode together putting in decent efforts till the end. Picked up another lad from Manchester and had a nice 3 man team till the end. The first time i've rode in a gang, and what a buzz.

It's my longest ride and slightly dissapointed that on my computer it only measured 98.4k. Is it cheating to say i've clocked up my first metric century?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, that was............painful..........

Did the 100 miles. Spoke to Tharg at the start before we rolled out at 7.00am.

Rolled along at the front with another guy, and once we hit the A560, all hell broke loose - the fast lads came flying through - took off after them with Tharg.

Seriously quick pace - 23/26 mph rolling through Hale, Astley, Knutsford etc. All stayed reasonably well together (there were about a dozen of us in the First group on the road)..... One of the lads was seriously powerful - probably about my age (ssh 40's) but was about 6 foot and built like a sprinter - just dragged most of us along.

Things started to fall apart in Delemere and we were down to 6. My turn was at Kelsall 5 miles later - about 30 miles - longish drag and I was dropped, then couldn't get the big ring to chase - had crunched a gear change at the bottom and shifted the front mech slightly. The other five were pulling well away from me on the drag. Jumped off, gave the mech a quick push into alignment, then was off on my own for the next 15 miles into a raging headwind - I was pretty spent... when the 'other half' of the group caught me 10 miles from the 55 mile feed point.

As we arrived at the feed, the fast group had refuelled and were off. We filled up with water, I quickly tightened the front mech, and we were off with the group that had come in behind.

Huge headwind from 55 miles coming back, 5 or 6 of us doing the work but the group started splintering from about a dozen down to 8 then 4, and I then shelled out the back as the other 3 made some progress, but I then picked up 3 others from the group. Made good progress until Middlewich, when I started suffering major cramp in my left leg, then right leg and feet. Told the others I had cramp, and I'd see them later and eased off, and kept the gears spinning. That last 30 was painful although kept a good pace in the headwind and was picking all the 100km riders off. Only two other 100 mile riders caught me from our group.

Was seriously worried about the 'blip' at Styal due to the cramp as I couldn't get out of the saddle, without my feet locking..... was OK - hammered it down the hill, then dropped o the small ring and all the way through the block to my 24 and spun up the hill. The last 3 miles we had a tail wind and I was feeling a bit better.

Came in about 15th 100 mile rider on the road, and got round in 5 hours 11 minutes (19.3 ave) - well pleased with that given the wind.

Came in about 15th 100 mile rider on the road, and got round in 5 hours 11 minutes (19.3 ave) - well pleased with that given the wind.

Nice 1 fossy... very respectable time mate... yeh i was thinking of you lot earlier... im just outside chester over the welsh border and its blowing a gale here and i know the delamere/ kelsall are very well as im up there regular from here.... ... just hope its not like this when i do my 100 miler 3 weeks today in stoke on trent... http://www.tourride.co.uk/stoke-on-trent-pro-ride.asp

fossyant

Moggsy, you'll be well looked after on the Tour Ride - I know it's expensive, but there are stacks of food stops.

The only problem with the Man 100, is you only do 1 stop - TBH think I was low on drink really - should have shoved an additional bottle in my jersey (the bike only takes 1 bottle). If you try and refil,at the 'other' stops, you'll lose your group. At least with the 'proper' events most folk stop for a refuel..

Moggsy, you'll be well looked after on the Tour Ride - I know it's expensive, but there are stacks of food stops.

The only problem with the Man 100, is you only do 1 stop - TBH think I was low on drink really - should have shoved an additional bottle in my jersey (the bike only takes 1 bottle). If you try and refil,at the 'other' stops, you'll lose your group. At least with the 'proper' events most folk stop for a refuel..

yeh really looking fwd to it and heard some great reviews from it... had e mail form the organizers last week.. over 2000 entered so far with just over 1200 doing the pro so far... will be my 1st sportive and 1st time i've riden in a large group so should be an interesting day...

iZo

Some how i managed to complete the 100m (6h10 & 16.2) which for me is a dam good achievement, as before that the longest ride i had done was 17m. With my only stop at the halfway point for a refill and a butty.

little saddle sore and knees hurting, no doubt the guys at work will have a good laughed tomorrow, but screw them.

I dont even think i could make it 150 meters to Woodley precinct at the moment :smile:

Just a general thank you for the people that were going at my pace and had me as a shadow for a fair few miles

fossyant

Well Done, Fos, Agreed with you on the painful bit too, WINDY as heck.

I have stuck my report on my blog here:

http://theamazing39s...10-ride-report/

100 Miles next year for me :biggrin:

Nice report there and well done - I wasn't doing 27 though Styal...... knackered - looked like you were back way before us, the park was a bit 'busier' by the time we rolled in.

PS My Garmin worked faultlessly (on 3.2 OS which I believe is dodgy) - recorded going there, the 100 miles and coming back. Come to plug the blasted thing in, and ........it's flippin hard reset and lost everything........ oh well....back to 3.1 OS.....:tongue:

Tharg2007

Veteran
good report there fossy, I dropped off from that fast group early on as i couldnt keep that pace up for long and it would have really messed me up later on too if I hadnt.

I got cramp too somewhere near delamere going up a hill and getting out of the saddle, took it easy for a bit. Also took a wrong turn just before norley as there was some gravel that nearly took me out, distracted me and made me veer left up a lane missing the turn. Rather than double back I spent a fair while pissing about with my phone trying to get my bearings, finally decided to double back and found the route which was only 10 mins away anyway Doh.

The second half seemed easier to me, less hilly stuff. Also managed the style hill better than last year which surprised me. Oh and there was spitting rain most of the way until we joined up with the short route as well as that damned headwind.

Yes painfull.

Time not sure but under 6 hours as I only reset my comp about 6 miles in.

fossyant

Well done mate..... lots of dodgy gravel on those farm tracks.

The pace was excessive in that fast group and I was hanging on, until the drag at Kelsall and I knew it would be foolish to chase. That guy in the black with a Cervelo Top was an animal - I likened him to Wayne Randle to the others..............

At the stop, the other guys commented how he wanted to set the pace - i.e. no-one else would do a turn long...... mental - he didn't even have any bottles - couldn't detect one of those Camel Back Race Vest's either :wacko:

The pace was that high, they were taking a few risks on one or two junctions - they nearly ended up as bonnet ornaments at one point (I was just behind fortunately). TBH our 'second' group held together much better - we worked well and I enjoyed that, until I was cramping.

Good fun, and yes, did 'spit' for some time.... sun came out near the end though. Got lots of gunk on the bike - cow dung, sticky energy drink, and suspect bits of red streaks (poss animal blood from road kill) - all cleaned off as dead animal blood stinks..........

fossyant

Some how i managed to complete the 100m (6h10 & 16.2) which for me is a dam good achievement, as before that the longest ride i had done was 17m. With my only stop at the halfway point for a refill and a butty.

Fantastic achievement 17 miles to 100 :wacko: (I wouldn't try that......), and in a great time...flippin heck.......... VERY WELL DONE !!!!! :becool:

Top Bottom