Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Two things worth noting:

The 'compulsory stop' at the halfway point is actually after 55 miles not 50! The first time I did the event I thought I'd go flat out from the 48 mile point for 2 miles to make up a bit of time. 7 miles later, I crawled into the rest stop desperate for food and drink!

There is a nasty sting-in-the-tail towards the finish. Just as you come out of Wilmslow, you turn left and plunge down a fast descent with a sharp right-hand bend at the bottom. If you don't know what's coming, you hit that in top gear only to find the road kicking right up in front of you. I ground to a halt, unable to get into a low enough gear to continue and then struggled to get going again with traffic coming both ways. Change down before you go round the bend! ***

styal_m100.jpg

*** unless you are strong enough to big-ring your way up it!  ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Two things worth noting:

The 'compulsory stop' at the halfway point is actually after 55 miles not 50! The first time I did the event I thought I'd go flat out from the 48 mile point for 2 miles to make up a bit of time. 7 miles later, I crawled into the rest stop desperate for food and drink!

There is a nasty sting-in-the-tail towards the finish. Just as you come out of Wilmslow, you turn left and plunge down a fast descent with a sharp right-hand bend at the bottom. If you don't know what's coming, you hit that in top gear only to find the road kicking right up in front of you. I ground to a halt, unable to get into a low enough gear to continue and then struggled to get going again with traffic coming both ways. Change down before you go round the bend!

That will be worms hill :biggrin: watch out for the pooh smell at the bottom by the sewage works!

Tharg2007

Veteran
hmm, Thinking about doing this again this year. Fossy you doing the 100m on fixed or just the 100k fixed? Maybe Sh4rkybloke may be riding this year too? SH4RKY? you here?

Globalti

Legendary Member
My (inexperienced cyclist) climbing buddy got crowded at that roundabout in Wilmslow and tried to escape by bunny hopping onto a traffic island, smashing his front rim. I was just heading off down the hill when I sensed more than heard a commotion, looked back and saw something wasn't right. Went back and found him sitting there, right outside a cafe with bruised dignity and a flat front tyre and dinged rim. Luckily we got him going but he was mighty unhappy as it was his first ever ride on his new Orbea. Oops!

Paul_L

Über Member
i'm doing this but only the 100km sadly. My mileage this year isn't upto the 100m after a back injury earlier in the year. Back in January i never thought i'd ride a bike again, and whilst the 100m is tempting i think i better stick with the metric ton.

Tharg2007

Veteran
ok will be doing the 100 M this year, i must be mad as my mileage is well down on last year so will be a struggle. Anyone else doing this with a 7am start? Fossy might be a little fast for me.

Camgreen

ok will be doing the 100 M this year, i must be mad as my mileage is well down on last year so will be a struggle. Anyone else doing this with a 7am start? Fossy might be a little fast for me.

7.20 start, (just as well I checked, convinced it was 7.40
icon_rolleyes.gif
blush.gif
) but me and my lovely side-kick will be a tad slow for you anyway I'm sure Tharg.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just entered.

Will wait for start time. - When I last rode I had a 7.20am start, but was just told 'if you are ready just go' - so we did !! :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
hmm, Thinking about doing this again this year. Fossy you doing the 100m on fixed or just the 100k fixed? Maybe Sh4rkybloke may be riding this year too? SH4RKY? you here?
Hello, yes, I can hear you now... :thumbsup:

Been off on my jollies for the last week and a bit so no internet access.. I know, not sure how I survived!! :biggrin:

I'm hoping to do the 100km this year, but even that is looking like it may not happen... apparently it's cruel of me to want to do the ride the day after a Wedding leaving my Wife with the 2 kids (according to her Dad) as she'll be hungover as apparently you can't go to a wedding without drinking.... surprisingly this sympathetic line of thinking doesn't apply to me who will be going, not drinking and leaving early in the evening to take the kids home and get them bathed and put to bed etc.

I'm working on getting a pass out to do the 100km with a 7am start, thus be back for about dinner time.

Top Bottom