Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hoping to take part in this this year. I know people are saying that you don't need to pay, but I don't mind paying. My mileage is down so I've decided to basically see how I feel the night before and then look at the weather and take the road bike and do 100 miles or the mtb and the 100k with my dad if its peeing down. Anyone know if I can just enter on the day? Failing that, as a few mention, I can just ride along!

Dave

Seriously, don't pay. They don't deserve it. Do the route and if you feel like it, send the entry fee off to your charity of choice. There's no way it's worth the entry fee. I've always been bitterly disappointed with the sugging and money grabbing these charlatans charge and what you get for it is nowhere near worth it. Have the guts to ride the route you want to ride and ignore the fact they just happen to want money for the privilege that particular day.

Camgreen

Don't sit on the fence Paul, say what you mean.
biggrin.gif

Camgreen

Hoping to take part in this this year. I know people are saying that you don't need to pay, but I don't mind paying. My mileage is down so I've decided to basically see how I feel the night before and then look at the weather and take the road bike and do 100 miles or the mtb and the 100k with my dad if its peeing down. Anyone know if I can just enter on the day? Failing that, as a few mention, I can just ride along!

Dave

Last glimpse at Metcheck suggested a dry day with very light winds throughout. Fingers crossed that doesn't change
thumbsup.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My one issue though was the lack of any count down markers on the course. Perhaps they've previously had problems with them going walkies?; all the same, whatever level you are, whether you're doing 100k or 100 miles, it's always nice to know how far you have left to go.   Hopefully something Bike Events will have sorted out this time around.
I noticed when I did the 100 miler that there are almost exactly 100 junctions and I think they are numbered. Obviously, they are not equally spread out, but to a good approximation, you will have 100 - (junction number) miles to go.

I'm surprised that you don't have either a GPS unit or a computer on your bike!

Camgreen

I noticed when I did the 100 miler that there are almost exactly 100 junctions and I think they are numbered. Obviously, they are not equally spread out, but to a good approximation, you will have 100 - (junction number) miles to go.

I'm surprised that you don't have either a GPS unit or a computer on your bike!

Nope, don't have either on mine Colin; maybe I'd better invest
thumbsup.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
just  got  my  Number 2514, if  there's  that  many  in  it  bike events  have  made  42,738 quid. I wonder  how  much of that  Christies  get.???
Er, precisely £0.00, I think! 

In fact, apparently, on some of the events they have organised, they actually charged the charity for becoming the official one for the event, even though all sponsorship money raised was completely separate from the event entry fees. It's why PaulB is so annoyed with Bike Events!

400bhp

Guru
IIRC this Co. has around £200k in net current assets...No p&l account publicly available I'm afraid.

OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

My number came through - 1183!

Camgreen

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=CW9&day=5 latest forecast for the middle'ish bit of the ride. Looks dry at the moment, though these forecast have a habit of changing. ...... Could be monsoons by Sunday of course
unsure.gif
; at least if it's not as bad as Sunday morning was when I checked out the course (I confess, in the car:tongue:) which looked positively awful weather for the hardy souls (and there were plenty of them) who were out there braving it.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Dry I hope with a tail wind all the way round :laugh:

Looking on the weather its a southerly at 8-10mph and fine and dry but cloudy ,

Reading the posts people seem to be reluctant to say they are doing the 100km and are almost appologetic in the fact that the 100km is the poor cousin of the 100m and "if i could i would"do the big one.
I am new back to the cycling after 20 years break in the car/motorbike and been back riding for a cpl of years now, and have done a few of the 63 milers as well as the coast to coast (over 3 days) and really enjoyed them all, and have never once felt i was a wobbler or in the way of the faster riders.

So please dont look at all short distance riders as "those one a year riders with cheap bikes" as 10miles or 100miles its the enjoyment of getting out there and enjoying riding that is the real pleasure isnt it.

I will be doing the 63 miles on Sunday and when i finish i will be really chuffed i have done it and enjoyed it, so if you see the fat lad at the back give us some encouragment

To those who knock Bike Events for the money grabbing they are no doubt right in what they say, but until some one does it for less what option is there apart from doing it another day as all the routes are well posted on the internet (Can anyone remember if the Loot Manc - Blackpool in the 80's was charged or Free)

Not sure if this was a rant or a informative post

Top Bottom